Buy sell & trade?

sean69

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Location
Oshawa
Where are all the custom build flint locks, long rifles etc being bought sold and traded in Canada? I don't really see anything coming through the EE here - when I do it's usually a traditions or some Japanese/Spanish commercial thing...
 
Nice muzzleloaders custom or otherwise are a niche market here in Canada unfortunately.I tried a couple of times to sell some nice muzzleloaders on here but there was little interest unless you sell them at give away prices
 
...word of mouth. There are several very good builders in Canada but low profile in most cases. It would be generous to describe building as a paying hobby....more like a labour of love because no one can make livi g doing it here in Canada.
 
humpf.... yes, well if word of mouth is the only way to get/sell a nice muzzle loader it's no wonder no one can make any $$ at it... :(
 
I build and buy word of mouth only. I perfer to handle them in person unless it’s an antique. And wouldn’t sell one of my hand builds on here because they should be handled to get the feel.
 
It’s a labor of love like stated above. You make no return off them for your time in Canada. Anywheres from 2 weeks to 2 months to build one.
 
Custom built muzzleloading rifles often sell within the ML Club that the maker was active in. If you are not active in a Black Powder club and the Provincial organization you wouldn't even hear of them.

Calgary Gun Show in the Spring is the largest and best in Canada. There are several Black Powder organizations that display there. Doubtless there will be some nice ML guns and rifles on display.
 
I would no spend big money on a custom ML ( my interest is low )but i will spend big money on antique handgun.
 
To put it this way. You can easy sink 1000$ just into parts, then add 2weeks+ at 10-12 hrs a day and if your really lucky someone might pay 1500$ for one. Not worth it if someone’s looking to make $. Not like buying a rifle by old Hershel, those boys down there do a lot better at it, I’ve seen his sell for 4000$-10,000$. I think the real money is in doing gun builders seminars though for the House brothers.
 
tula has nailed it, although I question being able to build one in two weeks - even at 10 to 12 hours per day. Perhaps it would be possible if one started from a good inletted precarve and didn't add a patchbox or do any carving or decoration. Also, one shouldn't overlook the research and design time that goes into a truly custom build.
 
Custom built muzzleloading rifles often sell within the ML Club that the maker was active in. If you are not active in a Black Powder club and the Provincial organization you wouldn't even hear of them.

Calgary Gun Show in the Spring is the largest and best in Canada. There are several Black Powder organizations that display there. Doubtless there will be some nice ML guns and rifles on display.

yea - really looking like a niche thing, doesn't help out those of us who are anti-social eh? ;)


tula has nailed it, although I question being able to build one in two weeks - even at 10 to 12 hours per day. Perhaps it would be possible if one started from a good inletted precarve and didn't add a patchbox or do any carving or decoration. Also, one shouldn't overlook the research and design time that goes into a truly custom build.

Oh yea - I can go from parts pile to functioning gun in 40 hours. without rushing anything and without any 'special' touches. no precarve needed.

of course once you start adding your touches, time get compounded rapidly...
 

thanks - yes, I have been ove both sites, both are USA though.

But I do have to say, (if you are into kits) Jims kit looks quite nice for the $$ even with exchange.

Though I don't like kits, always something that I want to change, do a little different. ... They wind up costing me more than sourcing all the individual parts. :(
 
If a person wants a kit, but also wants the freedom to be a little more individualistic, they would be better off with one of Jim Chambers (flintlocks.com) kits. First quality parts but not fully inlet and shaped. Jim Kibler's kits are about as assemble and finish as you can get, but are first quality all the way. It is amazing what can be done with CNC machining.
 
If a person wants a kit, but also wants the freedom to be a little more individualistic, they would be better off with one of Jim Chambers (flintlocks.com) kits. First quality parts but not fully inlet and shaped. Jim Kibler's kits are about as assemble and finish as you can get, but are first quality all the way. It is amazing what can be done with CNC machining.

You have firsthand experience with both? I been looking for someone who is selling parts that are actually finished, I find (in most cases) filing grinding & polishing things like RR pipes, trigger guards, buttplates etc is just grunt work & adds nothing to a project. The "rough cast should be an option *IF* you want to modify a part. Frankly paying double for something like that is way worth 4 hours of hand bombing a butt plate!

I believe it's R.E. Davis that sells some investment cast parts, but even those require a good chunk of cleanup.
 
I have conversed with Jim Kibler, but cannot really say I know him. He and I are both members of the American Longrifles forum. ALR is an excellent forum with many helpful and very knowledgeable members. Most of the top names in the business are members. Excellent tutorials and library as well. I lived near Jim Chambers at one time and have met and conversed with him on occasion. Jim's daughter, Barbie, does most of the sales and customer relations these days. You could not ask for nicer people than Jim and Barbie Chambers and Jim Kibler. My last build, which I recently finished, was a Chambers kit and I was very pleased with the quality. It was one of their earlier kits with a Getz barrel and a Chambers lock.

I prefer as-cast parts - especially if they are lost wax cast. As cast allows the builder to do the fine detail work to their own liking. In reality, the buttplate and trigger guard are about the only cast parts one is likely to need. In my opinion, everything else, with the possible exception of the sideplate, is more correct and better made of sheet stock. It is not difficult to make a ramrod guide or nose cap from sheet stock. A patchbox is a little more challenging.

Davis parts are good quality, but pretty generic. If I wanted to build a longrifle that is true to a specific school or builder, I would be looking at cast parts by Reaves Goering. Reaves recently passed away, but I understand his daughter will be carrying on the business. My next project, if I ever get to it, will be an Early Virginia rifle. I have an Early Virginia buttplate and trigger guard from Reaves tucked away, as well as one of Liston Rice's Early Virginia barrels and a round faced lock from Jim Chambers. Hard to say if it will ever get built.

I wouldn't want to hijack this thread but perhaps builders could post pics of their projects - kind of I'll show you mine if you show me yours. If Taylor Sapergia or his brother, Dary,l are members here, perhaps they could post one of Taylor's and put us all to shame.
 
In my opinion, everything else, with the possible exception of the sideplate, is more correct and better made of sheet stock. It is not difficult to make a ramrod guide or nose cap from sheet stock. A patchbox is a little more challenging.


yes - a very good point ...
 
Hijack away - maybe we need a build forum?? I see different build threads popping up in different random forums .. (including mine)

Just finished:
jg-002.jpg


jg-005.jpg


jg-003.jpg


It has some issues, but is a helluva lotta fun :)


Just working on now:
number23-001.jpg


number23-012.jpg


lp-002.jpg


lp-003.jpg


lp-004.jpg


Someone gave me that kit, the stock was too far gone to be saved but the rest looked pretty good. Not super impressed with the lock though.
 
Back
Top Bottom