C & B bullet suitability question.

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
I've got a couple C & B revolvers already, but I have an 'Off the beaten track' question.
See; I almost always used oversized RB, Ruger Old Army being the exception.
So, I'm waiting on the transfer of a Walker replica that proportedly likes .457 ball.
Got to source a mold for it now.
But, there is always a 'But'...I already shoot 455. Hence I do have a 250 grain, .454 Double cavity mold...designed for 45 LC.
But I've not found much online as far as anything in grainage bigger than about 220 for conicals in C& B revolvers.
So...would the 45 LC fodder get the Walker rolling til I source a mold? Was thinking of perhaps powder coating them to bump the diameter up a couple thou, then running the bullets over a greased wad.
But that is pretty big grainage compared to what I have managed to read of online.
Steering towards 'Likely not' til I hear otherwise, but it would be nice to get it talking when it arrives...not have to wait for the mold.
Thanks
Tokguy
 
I don't know if it's even possible to overload a Walker using BP, but caution is never a bad thing. As long as you don't exceed the pressure of a full power 220gr load then there wouldn't be any problem. I would look at roughly 2/3 of the charge of BP you would use for the 220 gr conical.
 
Last edited:
When you seat the ball it should shave off a tiny ring. I cast my own round ball with a .457 mold but they routinely measure out at .455 ish and it still works fine. For my walker I generally load it over 45gr of fff powder and a felt wad. I'm sure it would handle more powder but it's barks good enough for me.
 
It actually arrived 2 days ago, a .451 fits like a charm...just a tiny paring of lead upon seating.
A CVA for prosperity's sake.
Serendipity is on my side in that the registration arrived the same day and, drumroll please...I work across the street from the one range in town.
 
If the .451 is only shaving off a slight ring then you MIGHT manage with shorter cast bullets of .452". But you'll want to cast them from dead soft lead. And be prepared to drop the whole thing if you find yourself leaning hard on the ramming lever.

That's the thing. Bullets intended for cartridges have wider riding bands. Conicals intended for C&B use are shorter and have small riding bands that shear away or swage down easily during loading. The other issue is that the conicals intended for C&B guns have a small pilot shoulder to center then up. If your mold makes bevel based bullets that might work as well.

I tend to prefer a fairly solid shaved ring. I figure if the ring is too small then I won't get a good grip in the chambers. And that could lead to the balls walking out off the charges in the chambers not being shot. Watch for that on any new C&B gun if you are at all in doubt. Particularly on the hard recoiling Walkers. I also like a little more shaven ring so it provides a little more riding band surface for the ball as it engages the rifling.
 
Beg pardon; forgot to mention the .451 is my PL RB mold for my 1851 Navy 44.
And other than the odd time, it'll only see 35-40 gr charges. If I find myself needing to drop horses with it ( in some TEOTWAWKI wasteland, lol ), I'll be sure to bump it up to full cylinder charges.
 
I have an ASM Walker & have had very good results with .454 diameter RB.
Its the only Cap&Ball that takes this size in my collection.
There is much rumor that this is the same recommended size for ROA, but I find .457 is best for this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom