C broad arrow

Rdrash

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
Edmonton area
Hello. Can some one tell me when did the Canadian army start using the C<- on the there guns and what would be the earliest gun to have the stamp? I thought that they weren’t using them until after the First World War.
I was looking at a snider that has the c broad arrow and I’ve never seen that before? Usually they have <DC> or WD on them. I honestly don’t know that much about the Canadian stamps.

Trevor
 
London Small Arms Co. The London Small Arms Company Ltd (LSA Co) was a British Arms Manufacturer from 1866 to 1935.
picture.JPG
 
Sidney's Mark was used for Royal Ordnance property starting in 1544. Rarer in the future Dominion of Canada because of the prevalence of the Hudson's Bay Company et alia, not properly Crown property and so not marked in that fashion.
 
The C-broad arrow came into effect in 1907, replacing the M&D (Militia and Defence) marking, which had superseded the <DC> marking. There have been some Canadian Sniders seen with a very large outline 'C and broad arrow' stamped on the buttstock, usually over top of the roundel.
 
Actually, so far as I am aware, the markings RangeRover is referring to were "disposal" marks rather than "property" marks, consisting of the "opposed broad arrows" sold-out-of-service mark enclosed within a "C" - thus signifying that the rifle wasn't disposed of until some time after the C-broad arrow mark had been adopted. I have the mark on one of my Sniders -

zxqp1r.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom