Caliber conversions

YoungGunz67

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm thinking of doing a cartridge conversion on an antique status revolver so I can have fun plinking and it gives me something to do for awhile. I always see 32 and 38 rimfires and I've been toying with the idea of converting one to at least a centre fire so I can reload it.which ones better for a conversion?What have you done with yours? Pictures always help

Cheers

Younggunz
 
You may find there are issues with rechambering the affordable smaller caliber guns, in that they generally aren't built for the pressures or tolerances required by any of the unlisted calibers in modern production. Also, rimfire guns aren't ideal for conversion due to short cylinders, large gaps in the frame, loose tolerances etc. Not saying it isn't possible, just might not be worth your while. Best bet is a shot-out 44 or 45 cal gun whose chambers and bore are pitted and work from there. Mooncoon has made good suggestions in the past of using 297/230" Morris Short and .297/230" Morris Long cartridges - they're low pressure and can be made from shortened and thinned 30-30 brass if I remember right. If you're going through all the effort, better to refurbish a center-fire antique that's already in the cal you want. It'll be less effort and you'll spend less money and less time doing it, and you'll still get a ton of experience.

What you'll likely find is that most of the 32's and 38 rimfires are easiest shot as rimfires... adapter cartridges using blank inserts are easy and reliable and don't require massive overhauls on low value guns (where your increase in value in the conversion won't pay off the time and work involved).
 
You may find there are issues with rechambering the affordable smaller caliber guns, in that they generally aren't built for the pressures or tolerances required by any of the unlisted calibers in modern production. Also, rimfire guns aren't ideal for conversion due to short cylinders, large gaps in the frame, loose tolerances etc. Not saying it isn't possible, just might not be worth your while. Best bet is a shot-out 44 or 45 cal gun whose chambers and bore are pitted and work from there. Mooncoon has made good suggestions in the past of using 297/230" Morris Short and .297/230" Morris Long cartridges - they're low pressure and can be made from shortened and thinned 30-30 brass if I remember right. If you're going through all the effort, better to refurbish a center-fire antique that's already in the cal you want. It'll be less effort and you'll spend less money and less time doing it, and you'll still get a ton of experience.

What you'll likely find is that most of the 32's and 38 rimfires are easiest shot as rimfires... adapter cartridges using blank inserts are easy and reliable and don't require massive overhauls on low value guns (where your increase in value in the conversion won't pay off the time and work involved).

.22 hornet brass for the .297/.230 Morris and if I can find a project colt or even webley I think that's the cartridge id use
 
Last edited:
It is important that you start with a rimfire frame because I did convert a S&W 32 centerfire but otherwise antique, to the 230-297 and tried to have it reclassified since it now met the criteria. The conversion was accepted as to caliber but not as antique because I had started with a prohib. Even though the law defines 12-6 guns on the basis of caliber and barrel length, the government approach is that those features taint the frame and the frame is also prohibited.
My conversion was based on a shortened 22 Hornet shell and I lined the cylinder with bushings rechambered to the new cartridge and sleeved the barrel with a liner made from a 22 centerfire barrel. Such conversions are only practical if you have a metal lathe or access to one and the ability to make all of your own components. In the case of the 22 Morris shell (230/297) that means making your own forming and loading dies, chamber reamer, and making, fitting and chambering the bushings into the cylinder (I chambered after securing the bushings into the chambers) and of course sleeving the barrel. Were you to have the work done commercially, you could probably buy an already antique centerfire revolver for the same cost

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom