Calibre markings on firearms

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
OK...I did a search but couldn't seem to find this question so here goes...

Can anyone tell me what year Canada brought in the requirement for calibre markings on firearms?

Perhaps this was not a legal requirement and manufacturers just did it on their own?

Thanks
 
To the best of my knowledge, there is no regulation or other legal requirement.
It obviously makes sense for manufacturers to mark their products. Safety and liability issues.
 
To the best of my knowledge, there is no regulation or other legal requirement.
It obviously makes sense for manufacturers to mark their products. Safety and liability issues.

Thanks. IIRC someone told me that the Government brought in regs sometimes in the 60's making it mandatory but not sure if it was true.

Looks like the US brought in regs in 1968 but that pertained to serial numbers vs caliber
 
Markings are usually on the barrel for rifles and many rifles get rebarrelled. New barrel may or may not get marked.

It would be best practices to do so but I've got several custom, milsurp and muzzleloader guns without the least hint of caliber or chambering. Really need to get my hands on some Cerro safe to cast some of them.
 
I always thought it was a Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) requirement.

Was formed in the mid 1920s and they worked to standardize safe specifications and maximum load pressures. That might be part of the answer you’re looking for.
 
I think it is the serial number you are thinking of. For some reason I think 1957 might be the date but more generally somewhere between the late 1950s and mid to late 1960s when Canada required a serial number to be on new guns

cheers mooncoon
 
On a side note, whatever happened to the extra UN imposed serial number Canada was supposed to have engraved on newly purchased firearms?
 
On a side note, whatever happened to the extra UN imposed serial number Canada was supposed to have engraved on newly purchased firearms?

the law is still on the books but has not been implemented yet. I suspect pressure from industry may be holding it at bay for the time being

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom