Calibre question

Yup but keep the shot close.
<any people advocate using maxi or mini balls when using th smaller calibers but I do not- I just keep my shots close, well inside 100 yards is what I use to call my max.
I must prefer .5-as a minimum and 54 or 58 is eve better!
Cat
 
You'll be fine with using you .45 on deer. At one time that was one of the most common calibres to my understanding. So no need to worry. Enjoy black powder, its a blast.
 
You'll be fine with using you .45 on deer. At one time that was one of the most common calibres to my understanding. So no need to worry. Enjoy black powder, its a blast.

Yep one of the most popular deer calibres back when lead and powder were scarce, hunters were skilled and could hunt all year, and losing a wounded deer was more a matter of inconvenience than ethics. The .45 is enough gun for deer, with the right bullet it could probably be effectively used on larger game, but I agree with Cat. Effectively using 45 cal round balls on big game requires good judgement and some restraint.
 
Back before the "settlers" hunted deer in the eastern US to extinction (1800's) the 45 cal probably took many if not most of them.

I hunt deer with a 40 cal but have a "max personal range" of 70 yards with that caliber and 50 yards is more realistic.

While a 45 is more than adequate you may have "some difficulty" finding accessories and balls/bullets for it - most places that have any BP stuff at all pretty much only cater to 50 cal's (at least in Canada).

Yes, you can source stuff (primarily from the US) but it can be expensive to ship bullets/balls - so just be conscious of that.
 
Meh, get a mold and cast away. Lead = $1 lbs. (look at .45 R.E.A.L. mold, you'll thank me.)

Excellent advice on hunting. BP is not hi-powered cartridge type shooting, if you're accustomed to hunting with your .303 Br (what have you), you will certainly have to adapt to the Kentucky.
 
I have killed more than half a dozen deer with my 45 percussion rifles out to about 110 yds. In all cases the ball passed completely through the chest/shoulder. I try not to shoot past 100 yds. Some provinces state minimum calibers for big game hunting with muzzle loaders so check your Regs.
 
Back
Top Bottom