Gents, {and Ladies
} First two pics are of a father and son team who made rifles in London CW circa 1850. This rifle is in the "hunter" class and you'll note that the front sight blade has been cut and soldered flush into the barrel in the English tradition, non adjustable. Only windage adjustment on the rear sight.
The last 4 pic's is the work of the son {circa 1867-75}. It is in either the "hunter/target" or the "target" class of rifles and I believe the latter as it is quite a bit heavier and longer {also the muzzle cut round}. The original rear sight is missing. There seems to be what may have been a hood {now cut off} and the blade doesn't look original to me and I suspect it too was made in the "English tradition" originally but I can't confirm this.
I am aware of Popsicle type target rear sights, but this one is squared and not threaded...as if perhaps a ladder type sight sat in the square??
So, I'm thinking the set-up would have been; ladder peep sight @ the wrist, looking through a hood to darken and then center the {non adjustable} blade on the rear sight that is currently there.
I'd like to try to put this one back to original if possible, but I'm needing some direction.
Thanks in advance, Plinker
} First two pics are of a father and son team who made rifles in London CW circa 1850. This rifle is in the "hunter" class and you'll note that the front sight blade has been cut and soldered flush into the barrel in the English tradition, non adjustable. Only windage adjustment on the rear sight.The last 4 pic's is the work of the son {circa 1867-75}. It is in either the "hunter/target" or the "target" class of rifles and I believe the latter as it is quite a bit heavier and longer {also the muzzle cut round}. The original rear sight is missing. There seems to be what may have been a hood {now cut off} and the blade doesn't look original to me and I suspect it too was made in the "English tradition" originally but I can't confirm this.
I am aware of Popsicle type target rear sights, but this one is squared and not threaded...as if perhaps a ladder type sight sat in the square??
So, I'm thinking the set-up would have been; ladder peep sight @ the wrist, looking through a hood to darken and then center the {non adjustable} blade on the rear sight that is currently there.
I'd like to try to put this one back to original if possible, but I'm needing some direction.
Thanks in advance, Plinker


















































