Canadian colt 1851 navy

wr.sainsbury

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 99.5%
181   1   0
Location
vancouver island
Recently discovered piece of Canadian Military History. London made 1851 Navy in good condition, very little original finish remaining. Grip marked UC over B over 35 which identifies it as a from Militia Troop based at St. Catharines. Has original holster as well numbered to the gun but in sad condition (apparently scorched or heated over whole surface). Flap is still flexible but trying to get the leather re-hydrated by using Neatsfoot Oil for starters. Any thoughts on what may work better??

Perhaps someone with access to Muster records for 1857 could identify who this was issued to.

Appreciate any thoughts. Cheers Bill

th_DSCN1430_zpsfcc8a54e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_DSCN1425_zpsabec3bcc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Grant R is the big head on these. Not sure if he frequents CGN much but if you post up in British Militaria Forums you will find him.

Unlikely that they will have the list for this particular troop but you never know. Even if they do, nothing says that the pistols were assigned in order.

Nice find with the matching holster. This is the second matched one to B Troop I have seen. The other is shown in Clive Law's book - Canadian Military Handguns.
 
Hey Bill..Long time no hear. I have tried mink oil with some success, some heat, lots of hand rubbing. Maybe you should send it out here, gun and all, I'll take care of it. Nice find. Bill..
 
Thanks Bill-Knew I could count on you. Have not tried mink oil but will give it a shot. The neatsfoot did penetrate very well but the formerly gloss surface still has the fine alligator skin appearance that I don't think will ever go away unless sanded out. Cheers
 
Congratulations on acquiring the pistol and matching holster!

These holsters were made of "patent leather" and the glaze/coating of that type of leather does not age well .... i.e. it cracks and "crazes" like yours has. Not much you can do to "restore" the finish without significantly reducing the collector value of the holster .... just preserve it as best you can.

My Upper Canada Colt was also issue to the St. Catharines Troop -

UpperCanadaNavy007sm.jpg


UpperCanadaNavy009med.jpg
 
There was an Upper Canada 1851 at the Chilliwhack Gun Show and it was for sale....I only had $500.00 on me so I didn't even ask how much it was going for.
If I were a bit higher on the Socio-Economic ladder I would have gone for it in a heartbeat.
 
Back
Top Bottom