Canadian Indian Gift rifle and back action locks?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a link to a percussion trade gift rifle from the Canadian Government it seems, second rifle in picture with the back action lock.

http://adviceotheprairie.########.com/2011/01/rifles-typically-non-typical-part-1.html

Here is another forum thread.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...n-rifle-possible-canadian-indian--t19806.html

Interested if anyone knows much about these rifles? There seems a connection to using recycled Baker barrels. I like the Canadian connection and the stock shape mirroring a military shape.

Also interested in general info on back action locks?
 
I have a Pedersoli plains shotgun with back action locks and love it.They were popular locks locks back in the day though some say that the inlet needed for the lock or locks weakens the wrist area ol the stock

image.jpg
 
Last edited:
The Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska has published the reference book about trade guns. Rifles of this pattern are described.
 
There are a number interesting features and it might make for a nice tribute wannabe copy Trade Rifle.

Folks list pros and cons for the back action lock but it was used extensively in the late percussion era. The weakened inletting for the wrist is worth considering yet many back action guns have survived well. Also the lockswere quite often used in the cartridge era, some searching revealed superb H&H back action shotgun locks on doubles. The narrow side lock region of the stock profile appeals most to me. There is talk of larger wrists with back actions though. The round reused barrel and stock profile make for an interesting transition gun of sorts.

The full length stock with stock wedges and hook breech are a plus for ease of cleaning like my Investarm Hawkens look-a-likes are. There is also a chance they were supplied after Confederation, 1867, making them true trade rifles from the Dominion of Canada.
 
I have one, my brother has one and the Museum of the Fur Trade has one also, I believe member RoadKing has two.

Here is an article by Ross Egles
4595-43.jpg
4595-44.jpg
4595-45.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 4595-45.jpg
    4595-45.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 4595-44.jpg
    4595-44.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 4595-43.jpg
    4595-43.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Here is an article by Ross Egles

May of 2000, he wrote that, hard to believe he has been gone for 3 years now.

He was alway's a permanent fixture at the Ancaster Gun Show's.

Ross (crusty beggar as alway's) was one of the first people I ever met at Ancaster, 45 years ago at the ripe age of 15.

Long time member, "Canadian Guild of Antique Arms Historians"

egles.jpg


EGLES, William Ross – Jan. 04, 2015.

Retired Capt. Ross William Egles, died on January 4, 2015. He was 83.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Nancy (Brams), and their three children, Diane Elizabeth, David William, and Susan Joan, as well as seven grandchildren.

As a young man Ross had always wanted to be a pilot and after attaining the required number of flying hours at a local airport, he received his Private Pilot’s License.
He was accepted for training by TCA in 1955 (later to become Air Canada).
Starting as a Second Officer, he was promoted to Captain with Air Canada in 1967.
He flew all aircraft in the fleet from 1955 until his retirement in 1980.
He had 35 years’ service as a pilot for the airline.
His home base was always Toronto.

Sorry for the side track.

Ross needs to be remembered.
 
Last edited:
I certainly won't forget Ross after this thread, thanks.

This has me convinced if I can ever afford to build a unique rifle this one is it.

May I ask what the value of such rifles on the market if available?
 
The Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska has published the reference book about trade guns. Rifles of this pattern are described.

I've sent a contact to the museum regarding this rifle. I checked on their book by Hanson, Firearms of the Fur Trade, and it is $135 US. I am interested in this rifle and trade guns from Canada but is the cost worth it? There was another book on the HBC trade gun history by Goodings, Trade Guns of the HBC, opinions?
 
Back
Top Bottom