Canadian Issue Martini Henry!!

cigar_man

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Location
Ontari Ari Oh
I posted this on the Martini Henry Facebook page, but it may be of some interest here on GunNutz.

I have been looking into the Canadian Archives and came across a reference listing of Battalions and Rifle Associations that were using the Martini Henry.

Past information was that most Canadian Issue Martini Henry were held in storage.

The information I found goes to show that the Martini Henry was very widley distributed here in Canada.

The listing in the archives does not show the actual quantity of rifles being distributed, but it does show who the Battalions, Rifle Associations are and the amount of ammunition that was used for each practice date.

In researching other years, I have found additional Battalions and more Rifle Associations.

Martini Henry MkI, 2nd Pattern Rifle
epEsmCNh.gif


Martini Henry MkIII
rGaf9mEh.jpg


Below listing is for the year 1890;

Canadian Battalions
3rd Battalion, Victoria Rifles of Canada (Montreal)
5th Battalion Royal Light Infantry
6th Hochelaga Light Infantry
8th Royal Rifles
11th Battalion, Argenteuil Rangers
13th Battalion of Infantry (Hamilton)
15th Battalion, Argyle Light Infantry
20th Halton Battalion, Lorne Rifles
21st Battalion Military District No.1 London, Ontario ??
25th Elgin Battalion of Infantry
26th Middlesex Battalion of Light Infantry
30th Wellington Battalion of Rifles
37th Haldimand Battalion of Rifles
38th Battalion, Dufferin Rifles
41st Brockville Battalion of Rifles
42nd Brockville Battalion of Infantry
43rd Carleton Battalion of Infantry
45th West Durham Battalion of Infantry
46th East Durham Battalion of Infantry
53rd Sherbrooke Battalion of Infantry
54th Richmond Battalion of Infantry
57th Battalion, Peterborough Rangers
62nd St. John Battalion of Infantry
63rd Battalion, Halifax
66th Battalion, Princess Louise Fusiliers
69th Annapolis Battalion ?
72nd Annapolis Battalion ?
78th Colchester, Hants and Pictou Battalion
79th Shefford Battalion
86th Three Rivers Battalion
90th Winnipeg Rifles
93rd Cumberland Battalion

Rifle Associations
Bowmanville Rifle Association
British Columbia Rifle Association
Cobourg Garrison Battery
Charlotte County Rifle Association
St. John Garrison Artillery
Governor General”s Body Guard
Governor General’s Foot Guards
Guelph Rifle Association
Halifax Garrison Artillery
Western District Rifle association
Lincoln Rifle Association
Messrs.G.D. Wood & Co.
Moncton Rifle Association
Ontario Rifle Association
Ottawa Rifle Club
Port Arthur Rifle Association
Princess Louise Dragoon Guards
Province of Quebec Rifle Association
Queen”s County Rifle Association
St. John Rifle Company
York County Rifle Association
Victoria Rifle Association
Winnipeg Rifle Range Co.
Winnipeg Rifle Association
Special List Association
 
Last edited:
I live in the Eastern Townships were the 53rd & 54th were based and I have never seen a Martini-Henry rifle named to either these Regiment in my 45 years of collecting. I have seen several Canadian marked Martini-Henry rifles over the years all were marked to BC Regiments and one to the Quebec home guard.
 
I personally have three (3) MkI's and one (1) MkIII, all Canadian Issue.

MARTINI Mk I 1873 Enfield #6050 ROYAL GRENADIERS - 10TH Battalion Toronto
MARTINI Mk I 1873 Enfield #5938 Upper Canada College
MARTINI Mk I 1873 Enfield #5175 LAR N 2V,53

MARTINI Mk III 1883 BSA & M.Co 5 BCR/203 5th British Columbia Regiment
 
Back
Top Bottom