Canadian Issue Snider-Enfield MKII**need a short history lesson

czscotia

Regular
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Grand Prairie
Hey all Nutz,
Can anyone tell me a little about Canadian Issue Snider-Enfield MKII** Rifles like when were they used in Canada? Can they be reloaded for? Does anyone shoot them?
Thanks all
 
Snider Enfield Mk.II**

They were issued to Canadian Militia units from the late 1860's to counter the Fenian raids into Canada. They remained in service with Canadian units up to (approx.) 1905. Although some stayed in stores & some were reissued at the beginning of the war (for home defence in Hamilton) for a short time. Many, many can be found at Canadian gun shows with Canadian regimental markings still on & some other units such as the RCMP & GTR.

They are a relatively easy gun to reload for due to the straight case, as opposed to the bottleneck case of the Martini-Henry.

As far as shoting them I shoot mine regularly (an LSA Mk.II** dated 1863). It was the first rifle I ever purchased (about 3 years ago) & I have put some 900 rounds through it using the same 35 brass casings without any failures yet.
I find it a fun & easy gun to shoot & load for, with it's long Canadian history being a plus in my mind. It is not however a target shooter. Remember when these guns were made, that the common usage was for lines of soldiers
standing shoulder to shoulder & mass fire.

Having said that, I have had hours of fun tweaking the loads, trying different bullets & powder combinations to try & be as accurate as possible. There are 3 or 4 other at my gun club people shooting Sniders on a resonably regularly basis.

Cheers,
Peter (in Ontario)


Hey all Nutz,
Can anyone tell me a little about Canadian Issue Snider-Enfield MKII** Rifles like when were they used in Canada? Can they be reloaded for? Does anyone shoot them?
Thanks all
 
Last edited:
There is a ghetto cheap way to make Snider ammo. I just used some in a Black Powder match a week ago and hit 8 out of 9 plates with them!

No need for dies or a press using this method.

This was using Shockey's Gold non corrosive powder in 24 gauge shotgun shells.

I knocked out the shotgun primers using a punch.


Snidershells001Large.jpg


Snidershells003Large.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom