Canadian MkIV M-H

green

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
There has been discussion of Canadian issue or used Martini MkIV rifles on both this forum and Britishmilitariaforums but noone can produce an authenticated specimen or any documentation. Can anyone provide proof that any of these arms were in Canada pre1960 when International started importing them?
The consensus seems to be they were not issued in Canada.
 
ive owned one and then sold a while back to fund another gun project(they do go for a big price you could buy atleast 2 nepal cache guns for what that would have cost) joe salter also had one about a year ago they were qubec home gaurd issue only a few by the looks of things
 
By the looks of things? What markings were on them and where did you find reference material for Quebec home guard markings? Sounds like another book I need to hunt down for my library.

(edit, my bad I read that wrong, last sentence removed to avoid confusion)
 
Last edited:
By the looks of things? What markings were on them and where did you find reference material for Quebec home guard markings? Sounds like another book I need to hunt down for my library. Dude did you just say you sold something as significant as a legit Quebec marked Martini to a guy for a project :sok2

no i sold it to fund a different project. it had a DC stamp and thats about all i remember but like i said joe salter had one too not long ago maybe contacting him
 
Hmmm, that's not promising. I have seen a few examples of forged NWMP and DC marks to boost value to unsuspecting buyers. For example the 1905 made Win 94 with a DC marking on the butt. I don't doubt what you saw, but rather question the authenticity. As we're talking perhaps two anecdotal examples, bearing government issue markings belonging to a provincial force. I'm afraid there's not enough here to make me reject the contemporary views based on the documentation to the contrary. Oh well.
 
I have seen a QHG marked Martini-Henry MKIII and a Mauser 1871/84 and also a OHG Mauser 1871/84, but never a M-H MKIV. Something to look out for in the Future.
 
well im not saying mine was home gaurd for sure but when i seen the one at joe salter made me think it was most likely where it cam from

i dont think it was a fake thats for sure it was clean no old grease no pitting best bore ive seen on a martini only thing was the bluing started turning plum color it did not come form nepal thats for sure
 
I got my Mark IV MH about 1961 or '62.

Brand-new, grease in bore, no issue markings whatever, appears unfired.

Guess that one doesn't count!
 
I got my Mark IV MH about 1961 or '62.

Brand-new, grease in bore, no issue markings whatever, appears unfired.

Guess that one doesn't count!

thats kind of a rare bird in it self my latest mk IV came from ellwood epps and you can tell it was a nepal cache gun alot of yak fat and pitting at the wood line some stock spliting and even a chunk missing all in all its still a good gun worth more then what i got it for
 
Back
Top Bottom