Canadian Peabody

Glyn

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sault, ON
Hi guys,

I am looking for a little more information on an old rifle that a friend has in a cupboard, that was handed down.

What I have found so far is that it is a Peabody Patent 1862 rifle made by the Providence Tool Co of Providence, RI. It has the three barrel bands and the CM stamp in the buttstock, so appears to be one of the 3000 of the 5000 order that were actually shipped to Canada for the Canadian Militia.

From what I understand this makes it a .50-60 cal, lever action rifle. Does anyone know much more about these? I am just going on a quick use of my Google-Fu.

thanks,

Glyn
 
Yeah, they were originally purchased in 1866 in response to the Fenian Raids and issued to units in Southern Ontario where the threat was considered highest. They were later replaced by the Snider-Enfield. The design actually evolved into the much better known Martini-Henry.
 
i have one and like shooting it . Grant and Cantom had a lot of info on a forum here just over a year ago .im shooting it rim fire but have parts to shoot centre fire . have brass for sale to shoot rim fire .Cantom had 3 or 4 of these at one time .was a good artical in shot gun news couple years ago .
 
A few places to check:

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/10928/Peabody?page=1

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/1924?page=1

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?259761-Peabody-50-cal-rimfire&highlight=Peabody

The only photograph I am aware of showing a Canadian armed with a Peabody rifle - Cadet Guy Thurtell, Guelph High School Highland Cadet Corps, date unknown -

CadetGuyThurtell_sepia2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom