Canadian Snider experts, please help...

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my Canadian Sniders has a square-headed ramrod, rather than the usual circular cup-shape. It IS dished, but it's square. I've never seen one like it and was wondering how usual this is.

TIA.

tac
 
The square head rod was the early pattern. It was soon replaced by the round head since it was found that the square head damaged the bore. Not a Canadian mod.
 
In "Defending the Dominion" (Edgecombe) the author indicates that the round headed rod was ordered for all future production in March 6, 1868. I would imagine lots of earlier conversions had the earlier form swapped out but I see I have the square type on a couple of mine which are of earlier conversion dates.

milsurpo
 
'kay. It's my Welland 44th Bn of Infantry 3-band rifle that has the square-ended cleaning rod. It also has the DC on each side of the stock, for some reason. My Québec Garrison Artillery Short rifle has no DC on it at all.

tac
 
tacfoley: What Mark of short rifle is it? It appears that a bunch of Mk I* 2 band rifles that were in Canada don't have the usual Canadian markings. My Mk I* 2-band simply has the number "77" on the buttplate tang. Previous owner, who knows way more about these than I ever will, was sure it was Canadian issue. Conversion date on mine is 9/66.

milsurpo
 
tacfoley: What Mark of short rifle is it? It appears that a bunch of Mk I* 2 band rifles that were in Canada don't have the usual Canadian markings. My Mk I* 2-band simply has the number "77" on the buttplate tang. Previous owner, who knows way more about these than I ever will, was sure it was Canadian issue. Conversion date on mine is 9/66.

milsurpo

Hi there - it's a Mk II**. The lockplate is marked ENFIELD 1862, like my Welland three-band. The inspector was WL. Stock stamps are on the LH side - Q G A in a triangular layout and 102, presumably the rack number.

The lockplate fits into the wood without any sign of a join - the wood just turns into metal in a way that I've never seen on any gun at any price. You can see it on Youtube under tac's guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iZCWavNyk In March of this year the owner gave it to me for a birthday gift. :) [Thanks, John.]

If GrantR is looking in, please PM me for fuller details of this and the other one, if required. I recall that you were making some kind of detailed record of Canadian Sniders on another forum.

tac
 
Hey Tac.

I launched and am maintaining the database on British Militaria Forums, so you can either PM me details or head on over to BMF and say hello there. Either way, looking forward to seeing more of the rifles.
 
You can see it on Youtube under tac's guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iZCWavNyk

tac: I watched a couple of your videos. I just had a great day at the range with my Mk III 3 band rifle. How are you doing as far as accuracy goes and can you tell us a bit about your handloads? I've chosen to stick to the sub-caliber minie bullet and am using base plugs as in the original ammo.

milsurpo
 
I'm sorry to say that ALL the shooting done with the QGA Snider you see on my movie clip was done before it was given to me. Here in UK, due to the-then County Chief Constable being anti-gun-minded, she put an arbitrary figure of sixteen Section 1 rifled firearms, and then full dealer-level security requirements for home storage. and here in UK we are required to keep ALL our guns at home, as we a totally responsible for their security. When this edict cam out, I already had seventeen such guns. So my two Sniders are held by me under the Section 58 part of the Firearms Act, as obsolete calibre arms requiring no licence. Sadly, this means that I can't shoot them until I sell something else and use that space to license a Snider.

I'll be seeing the former owner next Sunday, if you can wait, and find out what he actually shot in it, but the figure of 85gr of 2Fg comes to mind. I have no idea about the bullet details, but it was a fairly accurate load - all my shots were inside a six-inch circle at 100m - twenty-one of them, that is. The other three went someplace else......totally off the target.

Sorry.

As soon as I've made my mind up what to ditch [what a situation, eh?] I'll be contacting X-Ring Services for one of their .600cal compression bullet moulds, as used by Rob [englishmuzzleloaders]. We are often in WA and have friends near Spokane, where they are located.

tac
 
Thanks, tac. Too bad about the regs there but it could be worse, I guess. Sounds like the ammo is working well if you're getting that kind of result!

milsurpo
 
Back
Top Bottom