Cannon Identification

it is in the size range of signal cannons that I have seen. While it would not help me, for a good identification, you need to include larger photos of the gun plus check and photo if appropriate the ends of the trunions and the top of the breach. Manufacturing date and other info is often on the trunion ends.

it is also not outside possibility that it is a relatively modern copy of an antique gun

cheers mooncoon
 
Has the bore been machined or is it as cast ie: rough??
Looks like someone had a pattern and cast a few cannons, the nuts that are holding the carriage together look modern,the saw marks on the wood could indicate age.
If it is made of cast iron I would be hesitant to fire a lead projectile, wads should be no problem.
I am not an expert on cannons but I work with all kinds of metals every day except Saturday and Sunday. Some alloys of cast iron do not handle applied stress very well and tend to fragment.
 
Back
Top Bottom