Cannons

Devious

Regular
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Greetings,

Does anyone know who I can contact to rent a cannon? Preferably in western Canada.

It does not need to actually fire a projectile, it just needs to make sound and perhaps a little smoke for a neat effect.


I'd also be interested to know any rules about firing such a device BESIDES local noise/fire regulations which I will be looking into separately.

If this is not the best forum for this topic please advise.

Thanks.
 
Try cracanon.com They are located near Montreal unfortunately for you but they make solide steel canons designed to fire for real!

How big a canon do you need?

Firing canons with a blank charge could fall under the regulations for use of pyrotechnic devices but they seem to be exempt from any formal rules as they are not per say a pyrotechnic device... Most probably, they will be considered the same as a pyrotechnic noise "mortar" in use... You will probably need a local permit or at least you will need to contact the local police/fire department prior to using the canon just so there is no surprises! I know Parks Canada offered a certification course in order to fire their canons as well as other black powder arms on their properties... I may still have the VHS for that course somewhere!

You must be extra carefull if people or property with windows are around when firing. There must be nobody in front of the canon and too big a charge may brake windows. Also, use the proper grade of black powder (bigger grains to avoid overpressure, I would use CANON grade) and a SMALL charge, especially with canons of unknown construction. Remember that many canon replicas are not designed for any type of use, even with blank charges, and that original canons are old and sometimes fragiles! In cities, you will have more red tape to seek, in the country, a call to the local police and/or fire department will usually be enough (in my limited experience!) It also depend on how big the canon is!

Maybe you should contact a local pyrotechnician or special effect house or even a firearms rental company (for the film industry). They may even have fake canons for rent. These people will have insurance and know the local rules...
 
I have a buddy that have a horse pulled cannon down in SE Alberta. He and his group of artillery guys actually have 2, one that fires blank and one that fires a 2" projectile.

PM if you want with what your looking for and I can give him a call to see if he would be interested.
 
Thanks all for the replies so far.

It is for my wedding which won't be until next year (plenty of time to plan). The sound of a cannon firing is just more appealing to me than church bells and the sweet heart has already said "yes" to the idea!

It doesn't need to be big. It should just look decent (not cheezy) and make a decent bang.

I am in Saskatoon.
 
What about something like this ? It shoots candies for kids , or miniatures for adults :D

fallfairandkody016.jpg


Cheers nessy
 
or how about this one which is at Fort Mac. It is filled with a mixture of 12 rubber chickens and several handfulls of feathers (from a pillow probably). The crowd gathers down range and the lucky twelve that bring back a chicken get a free beer. It is roughly the same size as a candy cannon. You could toss in candies for the kids, in amongst the chickens :>) :>)

cheers mooncoon

Chickencannonfiringclose.jpg


AirborneChickens.jpg
 
"...It is for my wedding..." What does your lady have to say about it? Just curious. All the women I know started planning their wedding at puberty. snicker.
 
Our wedding is going to be quite non-traditional. I have to admit I was a little surprised when she said "sure," but the words were spoken so that is that!
 
Back
Top Bottom