Care taker of Mr Westley Richards gun

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am lucky enough to be the care taker of a 1848 Westley Richards 12 bore rifle

http://

It comes in it own box for safe storage or transportation and there are goodies in the box

http://

The bullet mould is serial number to the gun and makes a winged bullet to fit the 2 groove rifling

http://




http://

So over all the gun is solid and will be shooting it here shortly.
John
 
Wow!

Beautiful rifle, and its still cased!!

Is that a belted ball type of rifling??

Dare I ask

Do you have the cases original key??

Hows the bore????
 
Cool gun! I love the case and all the original accessories. The condition seems amazing too... Wow! Lucky you! :)

P.S. On a second thought... it'd look even cooler if you put a Bushnell tactical scope on it and maybe some tactical rails for Scorpion-type flashlights and green lasers! Mix the old and the new for a totally unprecedented effect and style. I've heard it boosts the gun's value as well.

:yingyang:




(Ok, ok.. don't shoot, guys! It's just a joke) :D
 
Very nice rifle and a major bonus getting a matching bullet mold,would like to see that one being fired. Those bullets are huge,how much powder do you need to launch them???
 
The bullets weight 730 grains and I believe it will be a 3 (90 grain) to 4 ( 115 grain) dram gun. When I get a chance to shoot it I will now better as the load should be on sight. The bore is very good in the rifle also

Here is a picture of the bullet showing the wing

http://

Another cool thing is in the box when I got the gun is a letter form December 24th 1934 were a gentlemen from New York City had written Westley Richards doing reserach on the gun for another person in Canada. The records from then were not to good but gives August 4th 1848 as the sold date to a Maxwell Steele. The box also has the serial number of the gun marked on it plus the label so I would have to say it is the original box.
 


Nice curtains. Hide them from Don Cherry, or he'll have a new suit made. I guess the rifle is alright too. Aren't you able to afford a nice new synthetic stocked inline with a red dot scope? I guess some people are stuck with old "used guns".:stirthepot2:

By the way, I have a nice synthetic stocked inline I would be willing to trade, just so you don't look silly hunting with this one. :D
 
The rifling is similar to the two deep grooves in the "Brunswick" rifle which was the first military caplock "rifle" in British service. It was from the 1830's period. Mine was dated 1847 and was very accurate and used a mechanically fitting belted ball with a patch. I am guessing that this will surprise you with its accuracy. Do you intend to shoot it? Will you have the breech plug pulled to have a better look? Lots of British history there. Good luck and keep us posted. Dave PS - I hadn't seen the last page of posts. Wesltley Richards will do the research for you if you think there is anything more to be had. You can e-mail the lady there and ask if they can find anything else. Now to find out who Maxwell Steele was.
 
The rifling is similar to the two deep grooves in the "Brunswick" rifle which was the first military caplock "rifle" in British service. It was from the 1830's period. Mine was dated 1847 and was very accurate and used a mechanically fitting belted ball with a patch. .

I had a Brunswick and shot it a bit but for some reason it was not accurate at all. I used a patched belted ball in it. I currently have a Lancaster sporting rifle rifled like the Brunswick and it is quite accurate.

I suspect the Westley Richards would shoot well with a belted ball.

cheers mooncoon
 
I am lucky enough to be the care taker of a 1848 Westley Richards 12 bore rifle

It comes in it own box for safe storage or transportation and there are goodies in the box

The bullet mould is serial number to the gun and makes a winged bullet to fit the 2 groove rifling

So over all the gun is solid and will be shooting it here shortly.
John

Frakkin' GORGEOUS! Congratulations. Have you thought of trying a belted balls from a Jeff Tanner mould, in addition to conicals?

Regards,
Joel
 
That is so cool, very nice find, im jealous. I'm not asking for one and dont expect one but a video of firing it would be quite entertaining if you ever decided too.
 
Back
Top Bottom