Cartridge box type thing id

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
Hey guys, picked this up a while back. I have a few cartridge boxes but nothing like this. Its got a strange arrangement of straps that i cant figure out how they are to be worn.

Im wondering if anybody can shed some light on its origins and value!

Cheers, McLean

photo-171.jpg

photo-170.jpg

photo-169.jpg

photo-168.jpg

photo-172.jpg
 
Awesome thanks for the info! Any idea on what its worth ? Its a pretty cool piece indeed, I bought it on a whim the guy didnt know what it was either. Would matc someones chilean mauser carbine nicely. I may decide to sell it depending on what its worth.


Cheers, McLean
 
Does anybody have an idea on value on this, I have looked all over and cant seem to find them anywhere for sale to reference.

I would like somebody to own it who will appreciatte it as this isnt really in my collecting area atm.
 
I imagine it would have a wooden block in there that would hold paper cartridges for muzzleloading arms or later brass self contained cartridges.

A light infantry rig maybe or cavalry / some sort of mounted troop.
Put that on over the tunic and a waist belt around the lot to secure it.

Its a nice thing indeed, might be a modernish made repro as I cant see any military markings of anykind.
 
I have found two other copies of this but no prices, it doesnt seem to be all that modern. The age of tw leather and patina on the metal suggests original.

It could be used for any type of early infantry or cavalry rifle.

The other reference I found said it was a model 1895 cavalry cartridge pouch meant to hold 50 rounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom