First: I have no interest in reloading.
So, I've been buying a few different cartridges in .223, .270, and 30-06 to try out and for different hunting applications.
In .223 the Winchester's are SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate in my vanguard. They shoot 1/3 MOA and the Federals shoot 1.5 MOA.
In .270 I've got their cheap soft point and power point bullets and Sierra Gamekings, and nosler accubonds. Between ALL of these rounds, I find the Winchester rounds to be MUCH longer cartridges overall than their federal counterparts.
In 30-06 I've purchased again their generic soft point and power point as well as silvertips, nosler partitions. Again, the Winchester branded cartridges have a much longer overall length.
I haven't had a chance to test these two calibers but knowing what I know about the .223, are these longer Winchester cartridges inherently more accurate because they sit closer to the rifling, kind of like a match chamber would do?
I know they're a bit more $ because of the nickle plated brass (who cares?) and the lubulox coating but in .223 at least there does seem to be an accuracy advantage. Is this because of the longer length on apparently all Winchester cartridges? Why are they so different?
So, I've been buying a few different cartridges in .223, .270, and 30-06 to try out and for different hunting applications.
In .223 the Winchester's are SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate in my vanguard. They shoot 1/3 MOA and the Federals shoot 1.5 MOA.
In .270 I've got their cheap soft point and power point bullets and Sierra Gamekings, and nosler accubonds. Between ALL of these rounds, I find the Winchester rounds to be MUCH longer cartridges overall than their federal counterparts.
In 30-06 I've purchased again their generic soft point and power point as well as silvertips, nosler partitions. Again, the Winchester branded cartridges have a much longer overall length.
I haven't had a chance to test these two calibers but knowing what I know about the .223, are these longer Winchester cartridges inherently more accurate because they sit closer to the rifling, kind of like a match chamber would do?
I know they're a bit more $ because of the nickle plated brass (who cares?) and the lubulox coating but in .223 at least there does seem to be an accuracy advantage. Is this because of the longer length on apparently all Winchester cartridges? Why are they so different?


















































