Cartridges chambered in the Colt Single Action?

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
:D OK, most know the history of the Peace Maker. How many know over the years, the 30 some odd cartridges chambered for it? What were they? Off the top of my head I could think of maybe 20.........
 
450 C.F.
45 Colt
455
476
44 Rus./ Spcl.
44 Colt
44 R.F.
44-40
41 Colt long/ short
38 WCF (38-40)
38 Colt long/ short
38 Special
357 Mag.
32 Colt
32-20
22 Hornet? (not sure if was a factory chamber)
22 R.F.
That's all I could think of with out cheating...... Was the 38-44 Special A round chambered as well?
 
.22 Rimfire
.32 Rimfire
.32 Colt
.32 S&W
.32-44
.32-20 Win
.38 Colt Short
.38 Colt Long
.38 S&W
.38 Colt Special
.38 S&W Special
.38-44
.357 Mag
.380 Eley
.38-40 Win
.41
.44 Smoothbore
.44 Rimfire
.44 Russian
.44 S&W
.44 German
.44 S&W Special
.44-40
.45
.45 Smoothbore
.45 Auto
.450 Boxer
.450 Eley
.455 Eley
.476 Eley
From "The Book Of Colt Firearms"

Blair
 
Peacemaker chamberings

According to the book, " The 36 calibers of the Colt Single Action" by Ray Brown, self published by Ray in about 1950, there were 36 at that time,he owned an example of each, the book has a picture of each model,and a copy of a supporting letter from the Colt historian, authenticating each piece.
Ray was a world champion rodeo rider in his prime, two of these pieces are in a collection in Toronto, one is in .32 S&W, and the other in .22WRF,I'm in the process of perhaps bringing into Canada, a .22 caliber example that is also from the book, that was made in 1873, in .44 rim fire, and then converted by Colt into a .22, when they didn't sell as a .44, however if the U N stamping rule comes in, it will stay where it is? regards Bully
 
I wouldn't worry about the UN stamping thing.

It shouldn't be a surprise however to see such a longlived and famous gun have so many calibers built into the production, I only wish I lived a 100 years ago with the money I have now, I would have a one of everything.
 
Colt's cap & ball conversions definitely came in 38 rim fire, but I would think that they wouldn't have bothered with it in there Peace Maker of 1873. From what I understand, most of the 44 rim fires that were produced, were converted to 22 rim fires.
 
The 38-44 was the predecessor to the .357 magnum. Some old timers say it was still more accurate than the .357 Mag. Elmer Keith experimented with this round from what I read.

I think there are two .38-44 cartridges.

The other one was an earlier S&W cartridge that some Model 3 revolvers were chambered for back 100-120 years ago. It was originally more of a target cartridge, i think. Maybe the later .38-44 was a hot-loaded version of the original?
 
Last edited:
The 'newer' version of the 38/44 is identical to 38 Special in outside dimensions. Just like 30 Mauser and 7.62X25mm Tokarev.
However it was marketed first in the S&W Heavy Duty N-frame (1929-1930) quickly followed by the adjustable sight target version called the Outdoorsman. The reason for it's birth, it was said, police felt they were outclassed by bank robbing gunmen and needed a more powerful round to deal with auto bodies and makeshift body armour worn by the bad guys.
Hence the 38/44 in what we could consider today, as a +P+ 38 loading. The slightly weaker K-frame (S&W M&P sixgun) could not stand up to these pressures, so the 44 Special frame was chosen, as it was stronger from the get go.
As said here, this was a logical evolution to the 357 Magnum in 1935.
With the interupption of WW2, afterwards the Heavy Duty was once again manufactured until 1966, when production ceased.
According to my 1953 Gun Guide, 38/44 ammunition was also refered to as 38 Special Hi-Speed, or 38 Special Super Police.
Some articles refer to it as America's First Magnum, and they would be closer to the truth than not.
 
I wonder if a 38-44 or .380 Eley could be found in a pre 98 S.A.A. ? Don't imagine the price would be too high?.....:rolleyes:
 
:DFound this info online can anyone confirm it's accuracy?
In 1890, around serial number 130000, was the introduction of the .44 S&W, .380 Eley, .450 Eley calibers. In 1891, around serial number 136000 the 38-44 was introduced.
Anyone have reference to production numbers of revolvers manufactured in these calibers?
 
Back
Top Bottom