Would ww lead be to hard for casting balls? Or should a person stick to pure lead?? If so why?? I have lots of ww around,but pure lead is 2 hours from me and $2 a pound...Thanx in advance...
for the first several years I used nothing but wheel weights and miscellaneous scrap lead for casting round ball. They are slightly larger than pure lead because most alloy leads shrink less on cooling. Absolutely nothing wrong with them for target shooting as far as I am concerned. I would not use them in mini balls because I don't think the skirt would expand enough. I also would not use pure lead for mini balls because the skirt freezes too fast and I tend to get cracks and wrinkles in the US style mini with a thin skirt edge
For hunting, it is a toss up. On smaller animals including Vancouver Island deer, I would lean towards pure lead because they flatten out more. For bears and larger animals I would lean towards wheel weights or hardened lead because they would penetrate farther
I didn't notice any difference in difficulty of loading because I matched my patch thickness to the ball that I was loading
cheers mooncoon
The mold I picked up is a lee roundball in .530 DIA. THe patches I am using are T/C round ball,pre lubed,#7044,,,.015 thickness....do you think this will work or need a thinner patch??
The mold I picked up is a lee roundball in .530 DIA. THe patches I am using are T/C round ball,pre lubed,#7044,,,.015 thickness....do you think this will work or need a thinner patch??
Well its a no go...tried some cast balls with the .015 patches in 2 different rifles and couldnt even start them...
as long as you put some powder down the barrel first, you should be able to shoot the ball out.
re your initial question, the ball should fall down the barrel without resistance. Most people shoot balls which are .010" under bore size. Once or twice I have had a ball slip out of my fingers and out of the patch and fall straight down the barrel
re patch thickness; buy or scrounge several thickness of patch material from .010 to .020 and try them. You should find that some will load easily, some will load with a moderate amount of resistance and some are very difficult to load. Go with the moderate resistance ones and check fired patched for burning through
a final thought; the handle on my short starter is 8 or 9" long because I find that seating a bullet that far down with the short starter makes it much easier to finish the job with the ramrod
cheers mooncoon
as long as you put some powder down the barrel first, you should be able to shoot the ball out.
re your initial question, the ball should fall down the barrel without resistance. Most people shoot balls which are .010" under bore size. Once or twice I have had a ball slip out of my fingers and out of the patch and fall straight down the barrel
re patch thickness; buy or scrounge several thickness of patch material from .010 to .020 and try them. You should find that some will load easily, some will load with a moderate amount of resistance and some are very difficult to load. Go with the moderate resistance ones and check fired patched for burning through
a final thought; the handle on my short starter is 8 or 9" long because I find that seating a bullet that far down with the short starter makes it much easier to finish the job with the ramrod
cheers mooncoon



























