Casting session

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
just completed an all day casting session .... phew! What is the word that describes the feeling you experience while waiting for the first "keepers" to drop from the moulds?

I think I cast around 950 bullets from four Lyman moulds - two 457125's, one 515141 and one 457193. Next session will be .44 and .45 calibre pistol bullets.

Over the winter I'll be sizing and lubing. I can hardly wait ... ;>( but that's the price you have to pay if you want to shoot. No one is going to do it to my standards.

I kid my wife about her obsessive perfection in her quilting hobby. I was casting for an hour before she left to go to her quilting club session and was still at it when she got back several hours later. Her comment - "So, let's not hear any more remarks about my quilting obsession, OK?"
 
I cast 600 pistol bullets last night after supper and lube sized them this morning. I clean the mould well before starting, and then preheat it on a hotplate before I start casting. I can "usually" keep every bullet right from the first cast and seldom need to toss more than the first couple casts. 600 bullets took 2 hours, including setup and cleanup. Sizing them took another hour. 4 cavity moulds are the way to go.
 
Last edited:
You took pictures right????
Us busy bodies would like to see them.

You need pictures of bullets? They look just like the commercial ones you buy - but better.

I gotta see if I can get at least a double cavity mould (or two) to throw 500+ gr 45-70 bullets. Might have to be a custom proposition in the case of the .50/450 gr 515141. That's a pretty big hole.

BTW - I was a little optimistic about my bullet count. More like 750-800. Still not a bad day at the casting bench.
 
Cold and rainy here in Calgary so my buddy and I set up our propane stoves in his garage: a perfect day for a gab-fest and casting session too. While he cast pistol bullets I did about 500 round balls - and all the while my wife was sewing on a quilt too! Just a coincidence, I am sure....
 
Well, it'll be be more coincidental if you tell us that your wife also shoots like mine does. I do the loading for both of us, the blessing is that she doesn't shoot anything I cast bullets for - BPCR's. The .44's and .45's I cast for my BP pistol loads.
 
At this point we diverge! She's not a shooter although knows how to do it and will go to rendezvous with me. The best I could do was get an agreement that she would cook anything I drag back to our cave - as long as it is "oven-ready".....works for us.
 
Just finished another lengthy casting session. This time is was pistol bullets - 250 gr .45 RNFP's, 230 gr RN .45's and 200 gr.44 RNFP's. Mostly .44's as I feed a Henry, a '66 and two '92's.

That oughta get me through next year along with what I've got on hand. I only cast for BP use, using commercial bulk for smokeless. I may even contract with a commercial caster to do me up a bunch of softer lead bullets that I can size and lube myself. I'd rather shoot than cast bullets!
 
Just a bit of a warning about using 500+gr bullets for a 45-70. I've cast a lot and used them quite a bit BUT it can be very hard on your shoulder. I cast 300 gr for practice and also for hunting. The 300's will fully penetrate a deer from any angle out to about 75 yards so I figure there's really no point to using a 500gr. One thing I did find out is the 500's tend to be more accurate out to 200 yards. Best of luck, nice casting session. I have to do one in the next week or so.
 
Just a few days ago I fired 46 rds of 45-70 through my Shiloh 'Business Rifle'. I was shooting prone with a new set of x-stix I had just made for the purpose. I took long my sissy-pad but didn't use it. No ill effects, no bruising, no sore spots. The rifle is on the heavy side with a stiff 28" barrel.

I have witnessed a lot of people shooting 45-70 loads that kicked the snot out of them. There is a school thought that thinks you HAVE to turn a 45-70 into a sub-.458 Win mag simply because you can. Go for it, boys! I really like watching the macho men pretending that they enjoy shooting 500+ gr bullets from their 45-110's and 45-120's. Go for it, boys!

I prefer 420's in my '86 45-70 and 350's in my Trapdoor carbine.

Something I've learned .... the same amount of powder and lead that will get your attention in a 45-70 is a pussy cat in a 50-70. Why? - the bigger bore generates less pressure. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.
 
Back
Top Bottom