Casting Temperatures ?

petew

Regular
Rating - 97.4%
38   1   0
Location
Alberta
When casting pure lead does the Temperature afect the finished size. If we cast at the lowest temp where we still have good balls/bullets without wrinkles etc will they end up a larger size than if we cast at a very hot temp. or max temp the pot will obtain?
I am thinking the hotter the pour the more shrinkage we would get when it cools.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to casting very hot vs minimum temperatures ?
I am casting 50 and 54 cal Roundball , Mini, and Maxi's.

So much to learn about this new side of ML shooting.
Pete
 
When casting pure lead does the Temperature afect the finished size. If we cast at the lowest temp where we still have good balls/bullets without wrinkles etc will they end up a larger size than if we cast at a very hot temp. or max temp the pot will obtain?

I am not sure if it makes any practical difference. More or less we are talking about temperatures a little over 600 F (melting temperature) and around 720 - 740 F ( upper limit of my electric lead pot) You can considerably reduce your casting temperature and increase the size of your balls (so to speak) by adding up to around 5% tin and/or antimony. The lead will remain relatively soft and for balls around 50 cal, I would expect the increased size to be between .002 and .003" larger

cheers mooncoon
 
I'm normally casting 30-32 cal rifle bollits and hot casting is norm rather than exception.

I had a chance of casting large .75 cal round balls for a friend and I found out very fast that hot casting is NOT the way to go.
To get consistent results without damaging mold I had to slow down and lower lead temp to 4 on Lee 4-20 pot. Normally I set pot at 6-7 for 30-32 cal casts.
Is your mold steel,brass or aluminium?They have different operating temperatures I think.

See what works for you but I would suggest starting slow with lower temps.
 
I find I pour my best pure lead round ball and minnie's at about 700 F any hotter and they start to frost.When I cast WW alloy for pistol and Centrefire rifle I go up to around780F.
 
Back
Top Bottom