Cavalry Carbine Help

rbell

Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My Carbine has the number 31 stamped along the length of the butt plate tang. Anyone know what this number means? There is no DC marking or any other markings that would indicate surplus to another country.
Tks
Robert
 
31st Grey Battalion of Infantry , Owen Sound ON. Infantry battalions had an attached cavalry squadron until the mid 1870s.
 
That would be great if it was from Grey. My concern though is the orientation of the only number stamped and the lack of the DC mark. If in deed that makes any difference. I will try to post some pic's.
Tks
 
Looks like the right size and font for the unit mark. Usually they are stamped at right angles to the bore axis with a rack # in smaller digits.
 
I tried

enfeild_zps8a7ce7ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enfeild2_zps3d0dbf7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enfeild3_zpsb9fd10e0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enfeild4_zpse3d55ff4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Last edited:
"...31st Grey Battalion of Infantry..." Not likely. That's likely just a rack number.
"...indicate surplus to another country..." Only place it'd come from is Britain. No Canadian military kit in those days. Everything was Brit. Assuming your 'DC' mark is supposed to be 'Dominion of Canada', there was no such thing in 1870.
 
Every infantry battalion had an attached mounted squadron fromc1866 to the mid 1870s. Since the mounted troops were issued Snider CCs in 1872 this arm could well have been stamped then. The cavalry units attached to the Infantry battalions were detached and allocated to cavalry units c1875.
For example the 27th Lambton Battalion of Infantry had a detached mounted squadron HQed at Mooretown ON. This squadron was detached and allocated to the 1st Regt of Cavalry (later 1st Hussars) London ON c1875.
I have examined a few Snider CCs marked for the 27th and wondered how an infantry unit would have a CC. Found out when the story of the 27th's cavalry unit is discussed in "The Gallant Hussars" the history of the 1st Hussars.

Canada confederated on 1 July 1867 as "Dominion of Canada". That is why it was called Dominion day for 113 years.
In 1867 Canada took delivery of 3000 M1866 Peabody rifles, three band 50 cal RF, used by nobody else a distinctly Canadian arm.
 
Last edited:
"...31st Grey Battalion of Infantry..." Not likely. That's likely just a rack number.
"...indicate surplus to another country..." Only place it'd come from is Britain. No Canadian military kit in those days. Everything was Brit. Assuming your 'DC' mark is supposed to be 'Dominion of Canada', there was no such thing in 1870.

There was a Dominion of Canada in 1870 but even if there weren't, many rifles were issued in Canada long after they were manufactured in Great Britain.
 
Our own little ray of sun, easy to get in excess of 17000 posts if you just jump in willy nilly and spout garbage....
jan.

Yup, You have to love it when someone with two fingers and a whole bunch of time clutters up the forum. I would be the first person to say I do not know everything but if I post erroneous info I am sure that the more knowledgeable members will point me in the right direction. Thank you to people like smellie, purple, badgerdog, dingus, carmel, buffdog, and others to numerous to name for keeping this a forum that is a wealth of info. The people I have mentioned and others that I have not, keep this forum a source of valuable information. Smiley emoticons and other such drivel does nothing but make all of us endlessly scroll to find the relevant info that we are looking for. Might as well "Google" Chimp with AK-47 at least that will make you chuckle.
 
Just picked up what I think is a yeomanary carbine. 19.2 barrel with 10RC on the butt plate.
Anyone have an idea of this unit?
 
Back
Top Bottom