CCI #11 caps exploding

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I took my new Uberti 1851 to the range and fired off a few rounds and found that the caps I was using were exploding and causing the cylinder to jam. The caps I am using are #11 CCI Magnum. I noticed that the nipples on the gun have a large bore on the cap end but a small bore at the cylinder end which is restricting the charge,could this be the reason for the explosion and fragmentation of the caps? It does the same thing every time. The picture shows 2 unused caps and what they look like after firing.....any ideas on this...:confused:


CGN.jpg
 
It was not uncommon for caps to split apart on my BP revolvers.
The funnel shape in the nipple is to concentrate the flame towards the chamber. A big hole at the chamber end could lead to serious blowback, but the small hole will still let some blowback to enter the nipple . This is usually advantageous , as spent caps can be more easily removed.

just my 2cts.....;)
 
I've got a Pietta 1851 and it will do the same thing. I find if you #### it with about a 45 degree upward angle as opposed to horizontal, the spent caps will fall off and free off the gun.
Do you give the caps a pinch to oblong the shape before you put them on the nipples? Seems to help me.
Good luck
 
Agree with all the answers. Certainly do what tokguy say's and give the caps a pinch before putting them on. If they didn't come apart you would have a hard time taking them off. They do sometimes jam the action up, but that's cap'n'ball for you.
 
I had several issues with CCI caps that went away when I switched to Remington.

CCI caps are bigger diameter but shorter if I recall
They seem to be made of a harder material that frequently jammed the gun as you describe
They are harder to ignite
 
Caps on BP revolvers.

Anyone remember to old Cowboy movies and how they cocked their sixguns sometimes?

They would raise the muzzle almost vertical when they pulled the hammer back to #### it. This was a common practice during the American Civil War, as when you raised and cocked the hammer when the pistol pointed into the air, the expended cap fell off and did not jam the cylinder.
.
 
Cap sealant

I find cap sealant around the cap where it contacts the nipple helps to keep the cap from becoming to large and ragged {which jams the cylinder easier}.

Tight caps tend to stay in place, loose caps are less large and ragged after firing and tend to fall out on cocking without tilting the revolver.

:ar15:
swingerlh.gif
 
The caps should split when fired so they can be easily removed - this is normal. Try regular caps rather than Magnum types so the deformation might be less yet the caps still easy to remove for reloading.
 
if you use some models of capper, they have a built in "pincher" that compresses the cap as you place it in the nipple- it's a spring- loaded leaf
 
Anyone remember to old Cowboy movies and how they cocked their sixguns sometimes?

They would raise the muzzle almost vertical when they pulled the hammer back to #### it. This was a common practice during the American Civil War, as when you raised and cocked the hammer when the pistol pointed into the air, the expended cap fell off and did not jam the cylinder.
.


Yep - Have read that colt single action percussion guns were especially prone to it, though I don't know how true that is. It's normal for the cap to split, just try to keep them out of the action when cycling:p

If your RO has a problem with pointing the gun at the roof, try rolling the gun to the right when cocking so the cylinder will be rotating the same direction as gravity will be pulling the cap. That should hopefully keep the bits of cap out of the mechanism.
 
Having to carve the spent caps off with a knife or try to get pliers in there to pull them off is a lot worse than having them split.

Its all in the way that you #### the pistol for the next shot. I find that a twitch to the right as I #### will usually make them fall clear but you might have to experiment to see what works best with your gun.
 
On all of my uberti's I use #10 caps with only a few misfires because of caps usually being caught between the hammer and the nipple.The #11 magnums may be causing a lot of the problems. My 1860 army likes # 10 caps even though I have # 11 tresso nipples installed.Try tossing the pistol up and over as you #### as the previous posters have suggested and try a standard #10 cap .If your caps fit properly you don't have to squeeze them.
 
Thanks for the tips on this one...is a #10 cap bigger or smaller than #11? The #11 caps are a bit loose on the Uberti even with pinching them.
 
FWIW, I usually replace the Piette or Uberti nipples with new Treso nipples. They are better made and minimize cap issues.

You need six of them, I would recommend these:
h t t p://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=5854
 
Last edited:
OP, is the trigger on the Uberti model offset to the left like the Peitta? An aquaintance remarked on mine and, being right handed I'd never noticed it before. It does feel slightly less comfortable in the left hand as the trigger is positioned differently under your index finger.
 
Back
Top Bottom