CCI #11 caps jamming revolver.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I have 2 1851 Colt pattern revolvers in .36 cal. and .44 cal. and I am using CCI #11 caps. The problem is the caps jam up the gun after being fired,they stick in the area of the cylinder and don't allow it to be indexed to the next chamber. Does anyone know of caps that don't do this, some other brand perhaps. It seems that the CCI caps are way too powerful and they fragment every time. Any help with this would be appreciated ...........:confused:
 
The jamming of caps is normal for the the Colt pattern revolvers.
You could try other caps, but the only real way in only a small way is to point it up and to the right when cocking.
There are permanent fixes that require welding the recoil shield and such,, but that's a lot of work.
Google it.
 
Technique...?

I remember having exactly the same problem. Trying to get the spent fragments out of the little spots they love to fall in was a common problem. I read that a technique that was used was to point the revolver up as the hammer was cocked allowed the spent caps to fall to the ground. This is seen in a lot of old westerns (but done with colt single action armys) when the cowboy cocks his gun. Never tried it but....

Cheers. Steve.
 
That is a great article rgbai thanks for the link. I think I will try some tubing over the cap like those cap guards which might be a good idea for hunters with long guns as well.to keep the caps dry.
Another thing I am going to try is reducing the amount of explosive in the cap by soaking them in a solvent (have to figure out what kind) and scraping about half of it out. This is potentially dangerous so I will try it on one using tiny amounts of solvent.
If this works I will post the results, if goes sideways I will try to post with whats left of my fingers.:eek:
 
I find Remington caps work better in my ROA than CCI. On Vancouver Island, I can sometimes get them at Pullen's (just outside of Victoria) and at Grandland's in Campbell River.
 
I ordered 1000 Remington #11 caps from Reliable Gun hope this reduces or eliminates the problem.
I tried to reduce the amount of explosive in the CCI caps and they still fragmented, and exposing the stuff may lead to it going off when capping which is not good.:eek: So I have backed off this approach.
Who sells the Treso nipples as I need a set for the .44 Pietta the ones that I have now are too big for a #11 cap so I would like to replace them. Thanks for the advise on this......
 
Back
Top Bottom