CCI caps didn't go off.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I bought some #11 CCI caps and took them to the range,I loaded my revolver with powder and balls and capped the cylinders. The caps would not go off and I could see that the hammer was hitting them because the caps were bulged out. I took the dud cap off the nipple and the charge was mashed up into the nipple.
I think that the caps were wet with some kind of solvent that was sealed into the tin at the factory. The tin was very hard to open even with a jack knife and when it did open there was a strong smell of solvent. Fortunately I had bought two tins and the second one was easy to open and the caps looked a lot brighter and worked fine.
I let the "wet" caps dry out and they work as good as any I have used.They tend to fragment and jam up the works so everything is back to normal.:D
Anyone ever run into such a thing with caps????
 
I bought some #11 CCI caps and took them to the range,I loaded my revolver with powder and balls and capped the cylinders. The caps would not go off and I could see that the hammer was hitting them because the caps were bulged out. I took the dud cap off the nipple and the charge was mashed up into the nipple.
I think that the caps were wet with some kind of solvent that was sealed into the tin at the factory. The tin was very hard to open even with a jack knife and when it did open there was a strong smell of solvent. Fortunately I had bought two tins and the second one was easy to open and the caps looked a lot brighter and worked fine.
I let the "wet" caps dry out and they work as good as any I have used.They tend to fragment and jam up the works so everything is back to normal.:D
Anyone ever run into such a thing with caps????

I' have had CCI caps get soaking wet from a swim in the creek, dried themout , and they fired , no sweat!w:h:
They are the ONLY caps I use in my hunting shotguns and rifles!:cool:
Cat
 
that's sop for most caps- anywhere you have high humidity , or they get wet somehow( and there must be thousands of ways) you get all kinds of things OTHER than a normal discharge- the hang fire, the fizzle, the hit me twice, and some others i can't remember- esp if you use that "kit" that makes percussion caps out of soda cans and kids caps- i've had as many as a half-dozen caps in the capper or sometimes in the box( do they still use the small "tobacco tin" ?) fail to ignite properly- and they do GET OLD as well- i've been in the black powder game since 74, and a cap is just about one of the most undependable things in the powder chain- if you think cci is bad, wait till you try remington 11
i just re-read your post and your caps are OLD- you can tell by the smell the priming mix is detirorating- the same things happens to old powder-and it doesn't matter when you bought them- the "seal" is there JUST TO KEEP THE BOX FROM OPENING- period- they do nothing to hermtically seal the box- i've had whole boxes go south on me-btw, it's a TWIST and pull on most of my cap boxes- you cut completely around the seam with a knife, then twist and pull apart- they usually go flying all over the room
 
Last edited:
As finicky as a flinter can be there are days when they beat out the cap guns too!

I've had pretty good luck with most brands that I have tried and even some that were decades old but you do get the occasional bad batch. Quite a piss-off now that they often charge over $5 /hundred.
 
Back
Top Bottom