CFC Denying Pre-1898 French 1892 lebel revolvers antique Status?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Got this email from the CFC when I was inquiring about the antique status of a French 1892 revolver chambered in 8mm Lebel and stamped 1896 on the side of the gun:


SO... what do you make of this?
Does this guy just not know the law at all? Is he trying to spook "naive" gun owners?

OR

Have the CFC stopped granting antique status for the 8mm Lebel cartridge? I know they did it to the 44 MH.

** High Priority **

Thank you for your correspondence.


That firearm (which we have identified as a French Service Model 1892,
manufactured by Manufacture d'Armes de St-Etienne) does not meet the
Canadian legal definition of an antique. It is a restricted or prohibited
firearm under Canadian law, depending on the barrel length. If this
specimen has a barrel length of approximately 5 inches, it would be
restricted.

More information about Canadian laws concerning antique firearms,
including the criteria used to determine antique status, can be found on
our wensite at
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm.

For this firearm to enter Canada, it would need to be imported into
Canada as a restricted firearm; more information on that process is
available upon request or on our website at
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by
e-mail or call our office at 1-800-731-4000. Thank you.


Rod, FSD Communications
RCMP Canadian Firearms Program
1-800-731-4000

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp
 
What was the SER # ?

They date the guns by there serial numbers not the dates stamped in there barrels side.
Alot of french 1892 guns have diffrent barrels installed.

i found one that was antique with a 1922 barrel date had its barrel changed.

Also its posible you got a new person with no idea about antiques.
 
They did not say that its status was based on the caliber so it has to be something to do with the frame being considered post 1898. You would have to find out what they consider to be the cutoff serial number if they were produced both before and after 1898. Also check for proof marks; a star over S would be before 1898 and star over any other letter would be post, if my memory is correct

cheers mooncoon
 
Got this email from the CFC when I was inquiring about the antique status of a French 1892 revolver chambered in 8mm Lebel and stamped 1896 on the side of the gun:


SO... what do you make of this?
Does this guy just not know the law at all? Is he trying to spook "naive" gun owners?

OR

Have the CFC stopped granting antique status for the 8mm Lebel cartridge? I know they did it to the 44 MH.


If the Serial number Starts with F or sometimes a G with LOW serial number then you should be good.


1897 I believe they were using G prefix.
 
I have seen many of these where the date on the barrel dosn't jive with the serial # on the frame. It's the frame that's important. If it's an F prefix (as already mentioned) or a G 12549 or smaller, it's a pre-1898 antique. If there's no prefix, it's a commercial one and they are harder to date. Either the frame # puts it into the non antique class, the person at the CFC dosn't know what they are doing, or something sinister is about to happen to our antiques. It was mentioned just yesterday that a gunsmith was "no longer allowed to alter antiques to fire modern cartridges that aren't on the no-go list". Hmmm.
 
I imported one last month from the US and one just this week, both packages were opened by customs and classified as revolver and forwarded to me by CP since they are both antique, the one this week says 1897 on the barrel and serial number G12###.

The same information posted above was given to a US seller who contacted the CFC/RCMP.

The official FRT table shows them as restricted with the remark that years manufactured before 1898 are antique.

So much to the "high priority" letter from Rod, SFD communications who knows #### about nothing, Hope he reads this.
 
Yep - got the same thing from the CFC just now - she was adamant that the calibers could not be changed. I asked if she could quote the firearms act and she said no.
 
Yep - got the same thing from the CFC just now - she was adamant that the calibers could not be changed. I asked if she could quote the firearms act and she said no.

You can change the caliber to 32 S&W by reaming the cylinder, never seen one here and I had about 15 of those go though my hands over the last 2 years, also the bullets in the 32 S&W are 0.015 inch smaller, so it's a different caliber anyway.
 
Yep - got the same thing from the CFC just now - she was adamant that the calibers could not be changed. I asked if she could quote the firearms act and she said no.

You are talking to the wrong people I'm a verifier just talked to the techs they have de-registered antique;s where the cal has been changed the extention # is 1090 these people are in Ottawa and are the techs and are the only people to talk to so dial 1800731400 ext.1090.
 
You are talking to the wrong people I'm a verifier just talked to the techs they have de-registered antique;s where the cal has been changed the extention # is 1090 these people are in Ottawa and are the techs and are the only people to talk to so dial 1800731400 ext.1090.

Afraid not, - post #10 was referring to a call I made this morning to the techs at extension 1090. The lady who answered identified herself as an antique verifier. She sounded younger, had a slight french accent. Knew her way around the antique status lists and all that, but was adamant that they couldn't be in a different caliber.

I guess she could have meant that I had to be sure the gun was in its original caliber or else I would have to check what the new caliber was, because it might be on the "no-go" list...... but she was saying it in a really round-about way if she was.
 
I just checked the frt. It's only in the notes. It does say if they are pre-1898 they are antique though. The caliber doesnt matter unless it's on the stupid list.
 
I had mine in and out of customs in 2 days, 1897 year, I think customs knows more than CFC cause they deal with them all the time and need to know their stuff.
 
FWIW I've had emails from the CFC and half the people do not know what they are talking about when it comes to antiques.
 
I have a 1892 French revolver that was registered when I bought it and had it de-registered no problem .
 
well we will see worse comes to worse we have no list :D but thay will have to have a bill passed to change the antique laws and we would know about it fast and i doubt thay can pass it even if thay do rember the lib's and anti-guns have little seats now :yingyang:
 
Back
Top Bottom