chamber inserts 12 ga to muzzleloader

Interesting concept. Are they allowed in Ontario for muzzleloading season? Just for giggles, some years back, I primed a plastic hull that had been trimmed down to the brass. Closed the action on the hull and then loaded my single shot as a muzzleloader. Worked okay I guess.
 
I've not used the shortlane muzzleloader adpater, but I have used some of there other adapters with success. As for your question, I'm not sure if buckshot will work in the adapter. They are very short, around 2.5" in length and take 75-80 grains of powder and do not allow slugs. Most guys load it up with #6 shot and use it on small game out to about 30 yards. Maybe Shortlane or Self Reliance Outfitters can answer your question better?
 
The ones I have are only 3/4" long. They fit the chamber and hold a 209 primer. Then the gun is loaded like a muzzleloader. Open it prime it close it you're muzzleloader hunting. Yes it is legal for Ontario. I'm in a muzzleloader only zone. Basically as posted above like a cut down shell except these have o rings to seal them. I'd like to try them for deer if the patterns are decent
 
I think Hopkins and Allen made a muzzle loader which essentially was a Cooey type shotgun with a steel plug in the breach end of the barrel and I think that was held in with a O ring. The plug had a nipple in the center for #11 caps and you loaded from the muzzle. I owned one for a very short time and traded it for a derringer

cheers mooncoon
 
Well I'm going to give it a try. I bought cushion wads filler cards and over shot cards and some 32 cal lead round balls. Figure ill start with 75 grs black powder. Haven't decided on brand yet and 10 balls and see how it patterns at 20 yards. I'm thinking around 90-95 should give me almost 1200 fps. I'll be trying these in an older sxs jj sarasqueta. It has a greener type cross bolt
 
I think Hopkins and Allen made a muzzle loader which essentially was a Cooey type shotgun with a steel plug in the breach end of the barrel and I think that was held in with a O ring. The plug had a nipple in the center for #11 caps and you loaded from the muzzle. I owned one for a very short time and traded it for a derringer

cheers mooncoon


I've not seen the H&A in this format but have seen an H&R Huntsman just like that. The one that I saw was the 45 but was told they came in a 50 too. Just about bought one as I have the H&R Huntsman in 45-70 and thought that the muzzleloader would be a nice addition, would have too, just did not have the spare funds at the time.

But from a survival point of view a smooth bore shotgun that you can load as a muzzle-loader should be very versatile. A person could carry some loads in cartridges and then load anything else from the front end. Run out of shells, you still got a fire arm so long as you have powder and lead. The one thing I really like about the inline concept is the protection afforded to the primer from bumps and weather.
 
I've not seen the H&A in this format but have seen an H&R Huntsman just like that. The one that I saw was the 45 but was told they came in a 50 too. Just about bought one as I have the H&R Huntsman in 45-70 and thought that the muzzleloader would be a nice addition, would have too, just did not have the spare funds at the time.
.

I stand corrected, it was probably a H & R. I owned it briefly in the early 1990s and bought it second hand. I think it had been made 10 or 20 years before

cheers mooncoon
 
I can't recall the name or the company that I bought them but they shipped no problem. They take a 209 shotgun primer. Was hoping to use it deer hunting but I tagged out Monday with a real nice 10 point
 
Back
Top Bottom