Chamelot-Delvigne Mod. 1874

hawkeyeMASH

Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK in have a problem

I got what I thought was Bodeo Mod. 1889. I just was bored today and tried to ID all the markings. I was having a hell of a time as most came up but not for the Bodeo. I started to look in to it and it turns out what I got is a Chamelot-Delvigne Mod. 1874. Its Italian and ww1 so I am fine with this. I cant get a manufacturing date for it as the Italians didn't mark them other than there serial number. I know they made them from 1874 to 1889. The problem is it is registered and this pistol wasn't made after 1889. How hard is it to get a pistol unregistered and classified as a antique?
 
A civilian Chamelot might be blued and look like an 1874 - but would still be French - and have no serial markings on all parts like the military guns - or date. There would be other copies made in other countries but they would hardly be Chamelot and therefore the Chamelot latest date of 1889 may not be true. Proving that it is an antique is up to you so proving that is going to determine how hard it is to get it de-registered - I would suppose. The chambering might be a help. The Dutch and Italian similar guns had a little different chambering.
 
it the Italian Chamelot-Delvigne Mod. 1874 in 10.35 × 20 mm. Also no know copy's were ever made. I know they made them from 1874 to 1889 but Italy never marked the date at this time. It not blue and got all the right markings. I can guess by the low serial number its around 1875. They made around 6000 total of them.
 
Last edited:
Interesting - maybe you could post a picture or five for us - this does sound like a very interesting gun to research.

I am into the 1873s and 74s so I wonder if I have anything similar to yours.

What tells you that it is Italian?

What tells you that it is Chamelot 1874?

I suppose that it does not have the St. Ettienne marking on the right side?

I would sure like to see pics!
 
Last edited:
it is the Italian M1874. Glisenti Mod 1874 look like this one but none blue. The blued ones were for officers.
Glisenti_Mod_1874.jpg
 
There will be folks in Italy that know exactly how to find the age. If we can find a book that states it clearly, that is what the techs want to prove age I believe.

The Italian model did take a lot from the French - but nothing that I have has the little button on the front left - is that just a push-button latch for the cylinder pin? Does the cylinder have to come out to load?

European antique books might be a trifle expensive to buy - maybe we should check Ebay.
 
EBay:

NEW European Hand Firearms Of The Sixteenth, Seventeenth... BOOK (Paperback)


Italian Small Arms Schiffer Reference Book by Riccio Carcano Beretta

NEW Illustrated Encyclopedia of Small Arms by Rupert Matthews Hardcover Book (En

Thats all on Ebay - off to Amazon
 
Amazon:

I Marchi Sulle Armi Da Fuoco Portatili


A Summary of Notes on Central-Italian Firearms of the Eighteenth Century

The Millennium Sale : Fine Antique American and European Arms, Sporting Guns, Militaria, and Edged Weapons Paperback – 1999

Press Collection of Highly Important Antique American & European Firearms, Part II, August 3, 1993 Paperback – 1993

Fine American and European Firearms and Edged Weapons : Sotheby Parke Bernet Los Angeles Auction no 107 February 12 13 1974 Paperback – 1974
 
This reference book might help if you can find it:

[h=1]Pistole Militari Italiane ( Italian Militari Pistols): Regno di Sardegna e Regno d'Italia - 1814-1940[/h][h=2]Salvatici, Luciano[/h] Published by Editoriale Olimpia S.p.A. - Viale Milton, 7 - 50129 Firenze, 1985
 
Back
Top Bottom