Changing a Colt Barrel

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Anyone here changed a barrel on a colt 1889 or 1892 themselves? I've got one in 38lc that I'd like to rebarrel myself as I'm having trouble finding a gunsmith in Ontario willing to tackle it. I don't have a barrel wrench but I do have a lathe so indexing the barrel shouldn't be too bad....
 
i have done lots of them. hell i picked up two of them today that i have to do.

as for a barrel wrench you should buy one or you can make one.

for a frame wrench i use a pice of hard wood cut out to fit both sides of the frame works real nice.

i got this fun one to play with in the mail today.
http://www.hillbillytactical.ca/CGN/59164.jpg
http://www.hillbillytactical.ca/CGN/38067.jpg

she is going to be made in to 38 special with a "COLT DETECTIVE SPECIAL 38 SPL 2 INCH" !!
 
"...indexing the barrel..." That's not the issue. Not twisting the frame is. You need a barrel vise and a proper action wrench. Starpuss' hunk of wood should do for the action wrench.
 
Back
Top Bottom