Charles Lancaster double rifles

Goldenlakepete

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Golden Lake
Ellwood Epps has a cased Charles Lancaster Jones underlever .450 Black powder express double rifle in "good" condition for sale for $4,950.

This is WAY less than other British double rifles they have for sale.

Are Lancaster double rifles generally considered to be of lesser quality than other London-made doubles?
 
Lancaster was a respected maker as far as I know. I have a muzzle loader and a double rifle by him and both are good quality. Who were the other makers? Perhaps a question of paying for the name as much as the gun or perhaps the others came in more desireable calibers or with complete tools and case as so forth. Many makers made several grades of guns and possibly the Lancaster is not highly engraved and only has plain wood

cheers mooncoon
 
The other double rifles which are for sale for more money than the Charles Lancaster are:

Alexander Henry (2) one for #12,750 and one for $12,250

Mortimore and Son - $6,475

William Powell - $7,795

Thomas Bland - $8,995

John Rigby - $21,500

All except the Rigby are Black Powder Express rifles. The Rigby is a .303 (How I would love that!).

I e-mailed Epps and was told: "Lancaster brand name does not command the premiums that other London brand names command".

I always thought that Lancaster was one of the top names.
 
If you are considering purchase of a BPE rifle, be sure to check the ballistics first. Those old cartridges are very anemic by modern standards and the rifles are generally not strong enough to be upgraded to a more modern cartridge.

Hugh
 
the rifles are generally not strong enough to be upgraded to a more modern cartridge.

Rebarreling a double rifle and regulating the barrels is no small feat. Think in terms of several thousand dollars to do so, assuming that you could find someone to do it. Even reboring an existing double rifle does not guarantee that the barrels would be regulated.

cheers mooncoon
 
If it sounds too good to be true ? Do you live close enough to check it out before buying ? Make sure the rib is still soldered good all the way Etc.If not get a guarantee you may return it if not satisfied as long as you pay shipping
 
If I remember correctly when I looked at the Lancaster it is a plain gun just border engraving but the barrels were okay and of course they look odd since they are smooth oval bored rifling. The other doubles are engraved not meaning they are better quailty just fancier. With my experince the 450 BPE will shot light bullets in the 300 to 365 grains area and would have used 110 to 120 grains of powder. Most I have played with shoot in hunting accuracy but you are looking at a 100 year old rifle so you should look at a collecter piece and if it shoots good it is a bonus
 
Perhaps the oval boring combined with lack of engraving is the reason for the lower price. While I would border on thinking that oval boring is a plus because it is so unique and yet effective, I suspect many people might prefer conventional rifling. I have an oval bore Lancaster and so far while it is not overly accurate, that is a reflection on my ability to work up a load for it. I have little doubt that when I find the right combination it will both regulate and be accurate.

cheers mooncoon
 
My info on the .450 BPE shows it being used as an "Express" cartridge and a 360 grain bullet at 2100fps. The lighter bullet theory of the times would not work well on the largest of African game, that's why they had big bores as opposed to this medium bore. For North American game at any sensible range, this would be a wonderful rifle.
 
Back
Top Bottom