So i picked up the little blunderbuss the other day from a friend.#
Finally got it from him in a trade, been wanting it for a while as the hardware, lock and barrel all appear to be from a charleville.#
The odd thing was somebody had bondoed the whole rear of the stock and painted it all black with glossy paint.#
Here she is the way I got her.#
So after a few hours of stripping chisling and picking away I got most of the paint off and the bondo out.#
I was really hoping to find a large broken section of stock with a musket ball in it haha
What I found instead was the the whole of the buttstock was eaten by worms. The right side of the stock was almost totally fine. However the left side was worm eaten all the way along. Makes you wonder where and how long this gun sat before it was picked up.#
So after some thought Doug and I decided to cut the back of the stock off and graft new wood on. The bore is really quite nice too. #Normally I wouldnt drastically alter an antique this much but in this case it was neccasary to keep her shooting. I will stain the stock quite dark after to hide the graft as best I can.#
So here are some pics of the stock after the initial wood was removed. Incredible how much they ate into it.#
Next is the new wood epoxied on ready for shaping. Stay tuned!#
Finally got it from him in a trade, been wanting it for a while as the hardware, lock and barrel all appear to be from a charleville.#
The odd thing was somebody had bondoed the whole rear of the stock and painted it all black with glossy paint.#
Here she is the way I got her.#
So after a few hours of stripping chisling and picking away I got most of the paint off and the bondo out.#
I was really hoping to find a large broken section of stock with a musket ball in it haha
What I found instead was the the whole of the buttstock was eaten by worms. The right side of the stock was almost totally fine. However the left side was worm eaten all the way along. Makes you wonder where and how long this gun sat before it was picked up.#
So after some thought Doug and I decided to cut the back of the stock off and graft new wood on. The bore is really quite nice too. #Normally I wouldnt drastically alter an antique this much but in this case it was neccasary to keep her shooting. I will stain the stock quite dark after to hide the graft as best I can.#
So here are some pics of the stock after the initial wood was removed. Incredible how much they ate into it.#
Next is the new wood epoxied on ready for shaping. Stay tuned!#


















































