Chassepot/Gras Rifles

fat tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Does anyone have one of these interesting rifles in 11mm Gras? I understand they were used well into the 20th century by a number of nations in military service, including Greece, where they were used extensively (as far as I know) by resistance fighters against invading German troops in WWII. I would be fearful of being hit by one of those heavy soft lead bullets from a Gras rifle! :eek: There must have been some incidents where they liquidated a number of German troops pretty handily (but only single shots).
 
Last edited:
I have a very nice Gras, But I have not yet fired it as I just cannot find even 1 bit of brass.....tabernaque;)

It seems to be extremly well built...dare I say even over built, seems to be quite a bit heavier then my old 3 band snider.

If you want any specific pictures feel free to ask.



kidandnewgrasshots012.jpg




sunshine005.jpg
 
There is a fellow who has an ad in the EE for what appears to be a 'centerfire' Chassepot converted to 12 gauge (black powder? smokeless?) :confused:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554875

What I have come to realize about these 19th century metallic cartridge rifles is that they were made to obtain the best effect against living human flesh the science and engineering of the day could provide with not so much as a tinker's dam of thought given over to humanitarian concerns.
 
Last edited:
There is a fellow who has an ad in the EE for what appears to be a 'centerfire' Chassepot converted to 12 gauge (black powder? smokeless?) :confused:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554875


Hey Mr Fat Tony,

75 bucks...???? hell if you like the old banger buy her.

I like the bolt on that one,makes me wonder if chassepot parts were interchangeable at the very least you can buy it and then sell me the bolt for a superbly low price :D


It might be a neat idea to have everyone on the forum who has a chassepot Gras take detailed measurements of bolt dimensions.
 
A buddy of mine has one in 12ga seems it was rather common to do to them, his was picked up in France by his grandfather while fishing over in that area.
 
Back
Top Bottom