Cheapest and Easiest to Reload

Easiest to reload in antique cal.is probably 44 russian.you might find a Bulldog in that cal.but there's no such thing as a cheap
Antique that you can reload for.what's your idea of cheap?
 
Usually cheap and easy to reload for are not found in the same sentence when looking at antique pistols. The 44 bulldogs are probably the best balance of cost and ease. But they are quite popular, and sell fast.
 
Depends on what price range and what calibre you like/want. If you want a single action gun a reichsrevolver in .44 russian is indeed a good choice. A single action spur tigger revolver can be had for 500 with reloadable cases and bullets adding around 200 to that.A french 1874/1873 in .45 acp or .45 autorim would be a good choice, they are on the EE for around 1400 occasionally. If you already have a press it costs a few hundred to start reloading any antique/modern calibre.
 
Great stuff folks, just the kind of info I was looking for. I do understand that the word 'cheap' is pretty subjective, but my meaning was cheaper, as far as reloading for these types of guns goes, and easier, for the uninitiated. I'd probably favor a bulldog over a reichsrevolver, just for esthetics, I don't have any experience with pistols. I'm basically just in the process of collecting information right now. I haven't really decided if this idea would be a good fit for me, or not yet. I've been keeping my eye on the EE to see what comes up, and I will continue to do so, until I decide one way or the other. Thanks again for your help.
 
Webley .455 MkII ammo is still manufactured. Some Antiques that have been nitro proofed can shoot this smokeless ammo.
You can then reload the spent brass.
 
Hands down the EASIEST would be any muzzle loader or black powder percussion pistol. Buy the same black powder for all of them and pick up a bullet mold for $35 and you're off to the races! They are also usually considerably less than the center fire antiques available. You could reload for under 20 cents a round if you tried.
 
Hands down the EASIEST would be any muzzle loader or black powder percussion pistol. Buy the same black powder for all of them and pick up a bullet mold for $35 and you're off to the races! They are also usually considerably less than the center fire antiques available. You could reload for under 20 cents a round if you tried.

Exactly what I was thinking to.

M
 
Thanks John, and blackpowderburner. I should have pointed out that I do not have a PAL, and I do not intend to get one, so purchasing assembled ammo is not in the cards for me. Yes, I do understand that some dealers will not sell ammo components without a PAL. I will, obviously, avoid those dealers. I did consider the muzzleloader pistol option, and I already have three muzzleloading rifles, but I don't really want a period muzzleloading pistol. I'd be more interested in a six shooter type of pistol, and a Webley is certainly of interest to me. So, you can see why I'm looking at antique pistols.
 
It is no harder to load one cartridge than another provided you can find components. So I'd suggest that your search start at some dealer such as Rusty Wood Trading or an Ontario equivalent that lists Starline and other brands of brass casings and see what is available and what they cost. Taking the issue of antique status for "readily available cartridges" options into account.

You clearly have your own reasons for not wanting a PAL. But financially you would be far better off with a PAL so you could buy the far less costly modern replicas or just modern firearms. Even the cost of your PAL training and annual club membership to a range where you can shoot the restricted guns is cheap in comparison to the prices charged for any good documented antique status guns. I trust you realize that.....
 
Thanks BCRider. I've already communicated with Mr. Rustywood, and he has decided that he requires a PAL, even to purchase black powder, which is not a legal requirement here in Canada. Fortunately for me, I did find the cheapest source of black powder in Canada, right here in Ontario, at Hummason Mfg. and he only requires a driver's license, which is the legal requirement. I suspect that I will also be able to purchase most of the reloading items that I would need here as well.
The PAL issue is not a money issue for me, it's a principle issue. Fortunately, here in Canada, we still have the freedom to choose, and I choose no PAL.
 
It is no harder to load one cartridge than another provided you can find components. ..

I think the healed bullet cartridges (eg 41 Colt and most of the rimfires) are a nuisance to load compared to the inside lubed bullets. Once you have the shells and a mold, most rimfires are fairly easy to reload but in a revolver you have to pay attention to the orientation of the primer in the cylinder. On some rimfires such as 32 rimfire you may be lucky and have a blade on the hammer that is long enough to allow you to put the Hilti shells or 22 blank shells in the center of the case. Since you are thinking in terms of revolvers, I would suggest paying attention to the locking system that keeps the cylinder lined up with the barrel during firing. A Colt SAA would be an example of a gun where a cylinder lock comes up from below to engage a small depression in the cylinder. The Colt Thunderer is one that is sort of in between in the sense that the locking piece extends forwards into the back of the cylinder but is unsupported for a relatively long distance before engaging the cylinder

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for the info mooncoon. I'm definitely still in the early stages of learning what is involved in reloading for these antique pistols and, like I said, I may determine that it's just not my cup of tea, but only time will tell. Once I become more familiar with the terminology, and what those terms are referring to, then I can start to put the complete process together, and make an educated guess at whether it's for me, or not.
 
Colt and their early DA lockup systems suck. There is a reason that Thunderers, 1889's and '92's are as cheap as they are...problematic is one word.
Most Belgian wheelguns are easier to work with than the above mentioned. Watch Belgian pistols as their calibers can be a tad off size sometimes
 
Thanks tokguy, when I'm in information gathering mode, I look at things from all possible angles, and all this type of info definitely helps. I appreciate getting this kind of info from all you folks who know from experience.
 
For authenticity use a round nose .45 ACP cast bullet. (Weighs less at 230 grains, rather than 265 grains standard, but looks and handles same.)
!

for my Webleys; a Mk VI and a Webley Pyrse, the slugs with the long tapered points are much more accurate. I think the purpose of that point shape is to guide the slug into the bore more accurately

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom