Chiappa 56-50 Spencer

Sharps '74

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just took delivery of my new Chiappa Spencer in 56-50 !!! Bought from Wolverine Supplies. After hearing a lot of negative about them, I couldn't be more pleased. Came in a lockable plastic case with "Armi Sport Spencer Carbine" emblazoned on it.

The case colours in the receiver and hammer are beautifully mottled, not splotchy like some Italian jobs, attractive dark wood, nice bluing, good wood-to-metal fit and an acceptable trigger pull out of the box! What's not to like?

It cycles my dummy rds just fine and hits on primers are dead centre.

Can't wait to shoot it but first I have to cast some Accurate 51-350S bullets. The 350 Rapine bullets I've loaded with 30 grs FFFg are too long to cycle and will be shot single loaded.
 
Gotta get a copy of that, but I'm told that I'll be happy with the Accurate design. Does the Lyman book make reference to any smokeless loads? It's proofed with smokeless and made of modern steel, so I'm not concerned with pressure as I would be with an original, even tho' it doesn't have great lock up.

-33C again today, so I won't be doing any casting or shooting. The Spencer is VERY specific as to OAL length. One of three dummies I made up fails to feed on occasion. I need to mike it and make sure live rds are under by a thou or two.

BTW - all the negative I got was from owners of Romano Spencers and originals. Seems some earlier Armi Sport models did suffer from some ills, but if mine is an example, QC has come up significantly.
 
In order to get 35 grs of powder in a 56-50 Spencer, you have to do some compression. I got 30 grs FFFg in using the bullet to compress slightly. The bullets are seated quite deeply into the case as the Spencer action is VERY particular about OAL for function. That applies to the modern pistol calibre versions as well.

You don't shoot a Spencer for power. I've got two Shiloh 50-70s and they smack deer and bear pretty hard. In the day, the Spencer filled the need for a quick firing skirmish gun for cavalry. Minute-of-soldier or horse was all that was expected or required of it, most actions taking place at relatively close range. The stubby 350 gr bullet did not carry well at long range.

The original RF cartridge was simply a slightly longer RF .50 Remington Navy, the 56-50 case miking 1-5/8" versus 1-9/32" for the Navy. They got 45 grs of Musket powder into the Spencer case because they were a balloon headed case, not solid base like today's brass. They undoubtedly had a little more power and range.

I was able to put three rds into a neat cloverleaf offhand at 20m yesterday, despite -12C temp and wearing Mechanix gloves. Two flyers widened it to 3", which I attribute to the trigger pull. They printed 6" above the point of aim, typical of guns of that era. I then shot 5 more rds from a rest into a 2" group and 5 more into the same group off hand, widening it to 2-1/2".

I call that pretty good performance for 1860s technology. Would I taker a deer with it - yes, at no more than 75 yds, but first I want to see how it fares at 50m.

I would have been smart to clean the bore after each five rds, but cleaning under those temps at the range held no appeal. I did pull a Bore Snake thru' the barrel after the initial 5 rds. The barrel had a build up of hard powder fouling near the muzzle and no "lube star" on the crown, indicating insufficient lube on the bullet. I have an Accurate 51-350S mould with a large grease groove, but I'm waiting on handles for it.

This will be a "fun" gun and a sometimes nostalgic gun for CAS. It is NOT a "gamers" gun in that it's "Clink-Clank-Clunk" action requires cocking of the hammer as a separate action. The owner's manual says - "We have found that the Spencer functions best if the lever is moved briskly through the downward and upward travel without hesitation between the downward and upward strokes."

They mean it, as any other action will cause the gun to jam up. It is also hard on bullet noses as you quickly find out with dummy rds and eventually they will hang up, requiring a file to smooth them.

Don't let this discourage you if you have a yen for a Spencer. Like a paper '63 Sharps, you shoot it because you love it and the history behind it. Not only was it a favourite of the US Cavalry during the Civil war and the Indian Wars, Canada bought several during the Fenian fracas.

"Boots and saddles, Troopers!" General Custer awaits.
 
I have a 1865 Spencer Carbine that I switched out the breech block for center fire.

I don't shoot her too much because of it's historical interest to me. (Canadian Militia - Milton Ontario - Fenian Raids era)

Spencer's are beautiful guns with history on both sides of the border.

I wish she could talk.

Enjoy!
 
I have taken two 400 lb+ black bears with my 50-70 Military Rifle with a 450 gr bullet backed by 65 grs FFG. Heart shots both, at 100 yds. One never moved a yard after he was hit, t'other got up when I approached him at 75 yds. I hit him again and he went down, getting up again at 25 yds so I shot him again.
When I got up to him he was crawling away with his one good front leg I didn't have any more rds with me, so I put down the rifle and hit him behind the head three times with a club. He was now dead. Gutting him out, my first shot actually bruised the heart without cutting it! The 2nd shot went through a lung and the 3rd broke the off shoulder. Now I carry 6 rds in a belt slide!

Taking a bear that size with a 56-50 ..... ? Maybe, at 50 yds or less. Taking a bison with a 56-50 .... ? Well "Goose" proved it can be done by cramming all the powder he could into a case. Ain't gonna happen legally in BC where you can't take one with a 45-70.
 
Back
Top Bottom