chronographed some .22 ammo yesterday

sniper58

Regular
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Location
Quesnel, BC
While waiting for centerfire barrels to cool yesterday, I put some .22 ammo over the chrony.

Winchester "Dynapoint" averaged 1102 fps.
Winchester "X-Pert HV" averaged 1320 fps

The X-Pert box says 1280 fps, so I was surprised at the readings I was getting. The chrony was OK, because the Dynapoint readings were consistant with previous tests.

All ammo was fired through a Ruger 10/22T @ 25 yds
Dynapoint was hitting 3/4" high at 25 yds, X-pert was 2" high at 25 yds and 2" high @ 50 yds.
Dynapoint groups were as usual, a ragged hole with usually 1 flyer per group.
X-Pert groups were about 3/4" @ 25 yds, and just over 1" @ 50 yds.

I have to try the X-Pert ammo out of some different rifles. The huge HP in the bullet as well as the speed should prove to be interesting on little critters.
 
Good info. Also might want to look at some winchester "333" which is the copper washed version of the xpert with the same huge hollow point. I don't have a chrony, but I do remember the dynapoints hit quite low compared to other rounds and sounded a lot quieter, I think your results confirmed this.
 
gibbs,
I actually had a box of 333 in my shooting bag. Just didn't find it until I got home.
I'm sure that I had chronographed it before and it came up short of the speed advertised on the box. I'll have to do it again next time I have the chrony set up. If my memory serves me right, it was around 1225 fps average (advertised at 1280)

I have found that the lot numbers makes a huge difference as to the performance. I have about 18,000 rounds of Dynapoint in 4 or 5 different lot numbers. Some shoots like match ammo, some shoots like crap! I save the good stuff for me, Wifey gets to shoot the crap.
The new Dynapoint GT in the black box is overall crappy in 6 different .22's that I own.
 
Back
Top Bottom