Civil War markings.

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
These markings are carved on a '60 Army Colt. I have no info on how to read this. Anyone know this stuff, or where to find info? I see it as 2 C C E .That
may be wrong too.
Thanks for your help. Bill..
showday019.jpg
 
If this is a gun used in the Civil War these could be an indication of the owners unit or regiment or something similar the dot between the second C and the E leads me to believe the E stand for Expeditionary.
There are sites in the U.S. that could help with this... you might start with The High Road and poke around a bit there are lots of Civil War collectors and historians that might help with this.
 
Let Googlefu be your friend.Just type in 2nd Colorado Cavalry and it should pull up a number of links.It would be nice if you could come up with some provenance for this old Colt.I think with the C's carved like horseshoes a Cavalry unit would be my first guess.If memory serves me right I think they were based around Missouri and after the war a lot of soldiers were stationed up into the Dakota's and Montana.Not to far from Alberta.If you don't mind where abouts did you come across your Colt?
 
When the 2nd and 3rd Colorado infantry were combined they became the 2nd Colorado Cavalry.Volunteer units used the designation of Company instead of Troop.
 
I have been tracking this gun a bit. I believe it is 2nd Col. Cavalry, Co. E. The only volunteer to Co E with initials F. E. or E. F. was Eugene Flint. He enrolled on Nov. 20. 1862, in Oro City, now a ghost town. He mustered in on Jan. 12, 1863 in Denver. He survived the war, Mustered out on June 16, 1865, at Fort Riley. The 2nd Col. Cav. had some interesting days.
The gun was built early 1863. It has a cartouche on the grip. It's matching #s, including the wedge. This might be all B.S., but I'm a believer. (I contacted the Col. State Archives. Very helpfull).
003-3.jpg
 
This is a picture of the grips of an M1860 made in 1863, there has been a repair close to the trigger guard which has obliterated one of the notches but the other three are quite obvious.

1860cylinderback.jpg



Here is a picture of the gun Serial #63128

Colt1860ArmyAntique006crop-1.jpg



The rear of the cylinder:

1860cylinderback003.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom