"Civil War Revolvers - Myth vs Reality" - Petter Schiffers

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My copy of this book arrived today. It's a worthy companion to his earlier book on ACW carbines.

In this book he tests nine original ACW revolvers and several unusual, little known types. He shot them at 28 and 55 yds (he's German) with ammunition as historically correct as possible.

I got my copy from Man At Arms Books www.gunandswordcollector.com
 
Schiffers comes to some surprising conclusions based on the actual shooting (conducted by a European Champion BP pistol shooter) that will upset some with treasured, biased opinions. Like the title says - he wanted to dispel the myths.

For example, most of the shooting done today with repro ACW pistols is with RB and modern lubes. He used historic conical bullets with authentic lubes. He also used 1-1/2 g granulation which most closely resembles the "musket powder" commonly used in factory cartridges. Moderrn cap & ball shooters use FFFg.

He rated the guns on accuracy and efficiency of loading, effects of fouling and even quality control on the samples tested. Again, this will surprise and offend some. A lot of what we "know" is actually based on hype, movies and over blown "testimonials" which need to be regarded with suspicion. There is nothing new about false claims by makers and paid testimonials by unscrupulous supporters.

When I mentioned his findings on ACW carbines on another forum, I got buried in denials and rebuttals from many whose sole experience with ACW carbines was with modern repros or limited to no experience with originals using modern ammo and lubes. I expect this will be the case once again regarding his findings on ACW revolvers.

I won't give away the top rated three revolvers or the overall winner, but based on my experience shooting SASS "Frontiersman" class for the past few years, I wasn't surprised. I also think that both the quality control and accuracy potential of the modern repros exceeds or closely parallels the best of the originals.
 
Back
Top Bottom