Cleaning brass lined barrels

Bought some hamilton rifles here on cgn and i know that they are brass lined, heard that new cleaning chemicals can hurt the brass so wondering what the best was to clean them is.

I'm new to BP but based on what I know of cleaning conventional firearms, I'd stay away from anything with ammonia in it for sure. Brass will tarnish but not rust. The soapy water deal seams like a winner. "Now to Hijack", I wonder how the MAP (Murphy's, Alcohol, Peroxide) concoction would work for you? I'm not suggesting it to you because I don't know the chemistry with relation to brass but folks do use MAP on steel.
 
If at all in doubt test the product on a brass casing. If it results in any sort of green or blue-green colouring coming away on the rag or patch then it isn't good to use on brass, bronze or any other copper based alloy. I'd also be suspicious of any product which leaves the casing new looking without lots of rubbing. Such things are likely to be removing the brownish oxide coating which simply exposes the brass to further oxide production.
 
yep hot water remember this brass may not rust but it sure will go brittle with BP residue on it for too long you lern that after having some expensive brass become brittle
 
Back
Top Bottom