Cleaning paper cases

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How do you guys clean your paper shotgun cases when you use blackpowder, I have been shooting a pinfire and want to make sure I am cleaning the case correct so they will last. I always do the brass cases with hot water and then dry them. Will this work with paper cases?
John
 
I found that with coarse powder in 8 guage shells, the powder granules more or less penetrated through the case after about 3 shots. I was not using particularly heavy charges and was using I think 1F powder maybe 2F.
Perhaps most importantly I did not clean the cases between loadings.
My pinfire cases are home made brass and copper combinations

cheers mooncoon
 
I have found that paper cases burn through pretty quickly with black powder, don't last long at all.
I suppose they could be wiped out. I suspect that washing them with hot water wouldn't work out very well.
 
Have you considered brass shells? Magtech makes them and you can get a Lyman die set to reload.

This would be good advice if you can convert them to pinfire. You don't need dies as long as you use them in only one gun.

I haven't used paper cases much but am not surprised that they will burn through after a few uses. I know for a fact that plastic cases will often burn through on the first firing.

And don't ever consider using plastic wads. :eek:
 
Back
Top Bottom