Cleaning

Otto V

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Hawken style .45 cal rifle, bought new in the mid 70's . . . I have not fired it in years. When I used to clean it, I would remove the barrel from the stock, put the breech end in a bucket of hot soapy water, use the ramrod with a tight fitting patch and pump it until all the crud was gone. I was just talking with a friend about muzzle loaders . . . I think I may have unintentionally discouraged him from buying one with talk of the messy clean up procedures. Are there any better products and/or procedures for cleaning up black powder fouling these days?:confused:
 
Not really..Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. The only adaptation I can suggest is to use a commercial black powder bore cleaner or make your own from winter windshield washer fluid, add water soluble cutting oil until it turns milky, and then a a tablespoon of Murphys oil soap. This is a much better cleaner than water, leaves no rust creating moisture, and leaves a film of oil on all the metal surfaces. It serves double duty as a patch lube as well! I have also found that old bath towel or hand towel material is a superior cleaning patch material as it is very absorbent. Just use a smaller jag so it goes down the bore.:D I follow up with a patch with G-96 bore cleaner/protector.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom