Collection Status

topo4u20

Regular
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Does anyone know what it takes to get a collection status now a days? I was thinking of the purchase of some older revolvers one day that are restricted but don't intend on joining a club or use for target practice. I understand the law states that you have to be a so called "Bona Fide Collector". I wonder if owning an antique handgun that has been put through the RCMP as an "antique" would give you more punch as to being a so called collector when it comes time to register an older restricted handgun.
I owned several handguns and was a member of a shooting club back in the 80's but they were all sold years ago due to moving around so much.

Thoughts?
 
This is something that I am thinking about as well...not getting any younger and some day won't be able to get to the range any more. :eek:
From what I have heard you need to have a good knowledge of the guns that you own including their history and what if any role they played in forming this great country of ours.
A call to the CFO of your province would probably clear this up. I am not ready to make the call just yet but would like to hear from anyone with "Collector" status as well.
 
To get collector status, you have to fill out an application form from the CFO. Possessing antiques isn't relevant.
Call, get an application, read it carefully.
 
I've been warned off Collectors status. I'm not sure why exactly, something about the police gaining easier access to the collection??....Like I said, I'm not sure why but was told by guys at the club I was a member of at the time "you don't want to be classified as a collector"
 
Rules are the same for being inspected. Call ahead, to set up a time that's OK with you. You can still belong to your club, get ATT's, all the normal stuff. But it doesn't matter if you don't go regularly.
The RCMP may see you differently as a collector, than a guy with a bunch of guns.
Status is easy to get, and I don't think it's a bad thing to have, and maybe a good thing to get while it's still available.
 
I agree. I see no harm in getting it what so ever. I could care less if the cops want to come in and take a look. I have a fully locked safe and storage situation to the law. I don't anticipate having more than five or six firearms anyway.
From what I remember back in the 80's, I thought you went to the gun shop and purchased your firearm, then contacted the CFC for registration. At that time you advised whether it was for target shooting or collection? Then wait for the paperwork to transport home.
I am not sure what you have to do if you require a complete history of the weapon? Does someone call you and ask you a ton of questions or do you have to recite a long biography of it to some gun tech from RCMP?
 
The only potential downside to the inspection thing is that the collector's status application requires that you sign off on agreeing to inspections.
 
To get collector status, you have to fill out an application form from the CFO. Possessing antiques isn't relevant.
Call, get an application, read it carefully.

Hey Tiriaq,

Do you get this application just prior to the purchase of the firearm you want? Or is this a general application for collection status? Have you done this recently yourself?
Like I mentioned in my last message, I wonder if they contact you when you want to register it and expect the history of the weapon over the phone or is it all written down in an application?
 
It is a blanket application for status, not related to any specific purchase.
I've not done it, saw the application when a friend got it.
 
The only potential downside to the inspection thing is that the collector's status application requires that you sign off on agreeing to inspections.

Hmm, thats the way I recall hearing it as well. As a collector I understand you are agreeing to permit inspection of your storage facilities at any time.
Now, I have nothing to hide and I am of the type that if the law specifies that everything should be locked up in 2 ways then I'll have it done 3; but the idea that on nothing more than a whim a CFO or Mountie can stop as he's driving by, knock on my door and freely go through my home does not instill a warm fuzzy feeling with me. Thats Gestapo Law.
No, I would much prefer that someone has a reason to suspect I am doing something wrong, have a judge agree by way of a warrant and then I am happy to demonstrate my compliance.
 
Hmm, thats the way I recall hearing it as well. As a collector I understand you are agreeing to permit inspection of your storage facilities at any time.
Now, I have nothing to hide and I am of the type that if the law specifies that everything should be locked up in 2 ways then I'll have it done 3; but the idea that on nothing more than a whim a CFO or Mountie can stop as he's driving by, knock on my door and freely go through my home does not instill a warm fuzzy feeling with me. Thats Gestapo Law.
No, I would much prefer that someone has a reason to suspect I am doing something wrong, have a judge agree by way of a warrant and then I am happy to demonstrate my compliance.

Right off the RCMP website:
Before inspecting a firearm collection in a residence, inspectors must give reasonable notice and obtain consent or a warrant.
 
I don't think that inspections could be done on a whim, an appointment would still be necessary, but the collector has already agreed to permit inspections, so a warrant would not be necessary.
 
If you have more than ten registered firearms, you are also vulnerable for inspection although I think they are very rarely done. For those who say "I have nothing to hide", I think the big concern is that to a large extent terms such as "safe storage" are up to the interpretation of the person investigating and can probably vary widely. In my case I have a gun room but the term designed for storing guns is not really defined. Police officers often have a less than perfect knowledge of some aspects of the law and can give opinions that are technically incorrect. Provincial firearms officers may be enforcing policies which exceed the written law (in the course of home inspections) All of these have the potential of adding up to lots of legal expense

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't expect to have that many myself although I would love a room full. lol.

Just got sent the 1101E form from CFO: Application to transfer restricted firearms for the purpose of collection. Very simple form. Just some blah blah about it's history etc, then send it in and wait for approval. I would be very surprised if you were turned down having a P.A.L. restricted.
 
You don't even have to own a gun to apply for collector status, If you have an interest in some type, and some knowledge about the guns you are interested in, that's what is needed for the application.
 
You don't even have to own a gun to apply for collector status, If you have an interest in some type, and some knowledge about the guns you are interested in, that's what is needed for the application.

Sir;

The above form will need to be completed from you whenever you decide to purchase a restricted handgun. The staff who will have approve your transfer will process the collector's application at the same time. It is a very simple form to complete.

Regards,

Policy and Communication Officer
Chief Firearms Office
Tel: 705-329-5524 or 1-800-731-4000, ext. 7544
Fax: 705-329-5623
 
Back
Top Bottom