Colt 1849 Pocket?

Chemist

Sponsoring Business
Business Member
Rating - 100%
395   0   0
I had an antique pistol come in on trade yesterday and I'm not 100% sure what it is or what it is worth. I think it is a Model 849 Colt Pocket Pistol in 31 cal.

From what I've found out it was one of 11000 made in London and only 3000 came in wood cases.

I'm by no means an expert in antique revolvers.

Issues that I can see beside the condition which you can see in the picture.

The trigger spring leave sping is broken and the cylinder doesn't rotate when cocked. Also the screw above the wedge appears to have half the head broken off. The main spring seems nice and strong and the cylinder turns freely by hand. The serial # is 8057

I found this website on them as well.

hXXp://www.coltcollectors.com/models/03-5b-043.shtml


colt1.jpg


colt2.jpg


colt3.jpg


colt3a.jpg


colt4.jpg


colt5.jpg


colt6.jpg
 
Very nice. A great project, the gun and the case. I have a couple '49's cased, but are both US made. Yours I think was made in 1855. They don't seem to value Londons much higher than US guns, but they should. Looks to be a real Colt-made case as well.
I like it.
 
If you knock the wedge out,remover the barrel and cylinder and check the hand it may have a broken spring and not engage the cylinder when cocked.
You can order parts from: coltparts.com
 
It is not unusual for some of the wedge screw to be missing this is so the wedge can be removed completely or retained when the screw head engages the groove in the top of the wedge. It is hard to tell the extent of the pitting from the photos but the stage coach hold-up scene on the cylinder appears to be fairly decent.
The handles on the bullet mould appear to be bent and it's value is enhanced if the "Colt's Patent" stamp is readable.
The case is in rough shape but with a lot of TLC could be brought back to a presentable condition, the powder flask is probably correct.
Some of the screws look too good to be true...hard to tell from the pictures but the one on the front of the trigger guard should not be visible from that angle.
Being a London Colt with the steel back-strap and trigger guard makes this gun a lot rarer than the usual brass/silver plate Pockets that we all know and love.
You should take this to a reputable gun appraiser to find a value.
 
It is not unusual for some of the wedge screw to be missing this is so the wedge can be removed completely or retained when the screw head engages the groove in the top of the wedge. It is hard to tell the extent of the pitting from the photos but the stage coach hold-up scene on the cylinder appears to be fairly decent.
The handles on the bullet mould appear to be bent and it's value is enhanced if the "Colt's Patent" stamp is readable.
The case is in rough shape but with a lot of TLC could be brought back to a presentable condition, the powder flask is probably correct.
Some of the screws look too good to be true...hard to tell from the pictures but the one on the front of the trigger guard should not be visible from that angle.
Being a London Colt with the steel back-strap and trigger guard makes this gun a lot rarer than the usual brass/silver plate Pockets that we all know and love.
You should take this to a reputable gun appraiser to find a value.

I agree!

This fellow here might be able to give you a real value.

You will need to take some good clear close-up pictures.

He is one of the best out there for real world prices.

I know him from the North South Skirmish Association National's in Winchester Virginia.

Vin Caponi

h ttp://www.vincaponi.com/contactus.php
 
Back
Top Bottom