Colt 1851 2nd generation.

johnl

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Location
Mom’s basement
Any love for the 1851 navy? Not talking about the signature series but the standard navy. These were made in 1971, yes they were from Italian parts but fitted and finely finished in the US. Plus they will letter from Colt. Thoughts?
 
The Colt made repros are probably best kept as collector's items, since they should have some value.

For shooting, a Marstar Pietta makes more sense.

In general, unless you have a great fondness for the 1851 Navy, the Remington is a stronger, sturdier, and more practical shooter.
The cylinder is so much easier to remove, and they have a one-piece solid frame with a top strap.
You don't have to tap out a wedge to pull them apart, and in the 1851, 1860, 1861 etc., all of the pressure normally acting on the Remington frame is focused on that single wedge.

But, with a steel-framed one, and reasonable powder charges, and proper natural-based lube, they are fun to shoot.
 
Pistol in question. Shoot or not to shoot. New in box never fired. How much would the value be lowered if gently used? What is it worth as is?



 
I bought one a couple years ago. Different box, but also a 2nd Gen Colt. Think I paid $500 for it, but if I had to guess, today, $700 would be a likelier price. For shooting I would just pickup a cheap Italian version and use that. Value of unfired should only go up. - dan

I agree.

You can pick up an 1851 Pietta replica from Marstar for $355.00 with free shipping, and shoot that to your heart's content.

I have a recent Remington New Model Army made by Pietta.

Nicely made and a good shooter.
 
Back
Top Bottom