Colt 1851 32 rf conversion - conversion to?

Markit

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Hi all,

I have zero experience or knowledge about antique revolvers but have been looking for an antique Colt SAA, preferably in 44 Russian, 41 LC, or 44-40 for a while - that is within my price range. Thus far no joy.

Yesterday I saw an antique colt 1851 32 rf conversion in fair condition. Appears to be an old period conversion.

My question is, can this be converted at a reasonable price, say in the $500 - $800 range, to a more modern center fire caliber, and if so does anyone know who does this kind of work in Canada?

Or, would I be better off to keep saving for a colt SAA?

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

Marc
 
Converted to an obsolete 32 caliber centerfire by grinding off the hammer pin and relocating it to strike centre of the chamber. Ruins the value, and should only be done by a professional. Check cartridge pressures and get one comparable to the 32RF and have it professionally proofed. Get a 32RF kit from France and enjoy it the way it was made.
 
Last edited:
A '51 Colt was made in .36 caliber. How was it converted to .32RF? Chambers and barrel sleeved or replaced? If you were to convert it to .32S&W or .32Colt you would be manufacturing a prohibited firearm.
 
Agree with tiriaq, most 1851's that were converted to rim fire were to 38. Sounds like an odd duck to me? If you want a cartridge revolver I would not look at an 1851 for conversion. IMO, I'd just look for a 41 Colt. There are more than the 1873's in 41 Colt that are antique status...

By the way, a 44-40 falls into a restricted or prohibited classification, regardless of age...

The sticky in this forum is a good place to start to educate yourself in antique status firearms.
 
I would still consider it, however I would want more data on how the conversion was done as lkke stated .32 is unusual in that it's smaller than original.
 
Sounds more likely that this revolver would be a .31 caliber pocket Colt, converted to .32 rimfire.

An 1849 pocket model with a loading lever would closely resemble an 1851 Navy, except for size.

Colt produced huge numbers of these until 1873.

And, conversion cylinders today permit firing .32 S&W in .31 caliber replica Colts and Remingtons.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom