Colt 1877/1878

Milspectacles

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
Central Alberta
Anyone own these (antique or restricted)? Do you like to shoot them now and then or are they just showpieces? If so, do you roll BP loads or just light smokeless? Do they come out of timing or break down as often as the stories go? Any tips for a prospective buyer?
 
Hi -- I have never shot my model 1878 - but their mechanisms are fairly fragile and the lock up on mine is poor (I have heard that a stronger mainspring is the cure for this problem). Dingus (a frequent contributor here) usually writes that these guns have a strong and solid action.

You can find an antique caliber 1877 colts (in .41 long colt) and the 1878s were made in several designated antique calibers - 41 long colt/.455 Eley/45 Boxer/and 44 Russian. (Antique referring to pre-1898 serial numbered guns).

Good luck with your hunt for these old colts.
 
Yes the DA Colt 1878s are great guns just hard to work on but not as bad as the 1877s thunders.

I have a 455 pall mall barrel address 1878 colt and its a beauty british retailed antique status. accurate and very strong.
Elmer keith writes in his book six guns that of the antique handguns the 1878 is one of the strongest made handguns being solid frame and having a cylinder with no external stop notchs.
The 45 colt ones he tested can handle his 2400 loads.
I love mine. the fact its SA and DA strong without modern parts needing to be added.
 
Last edited:
I have an 1878 in 45 Colt and do shoot it on occasion. It handles black powder rounds quite nicely and is a lot of fun to shoot. I would not shoot smokeless out of it but I'm not worried about shooting it at all.

If you can handle the gun before the sale that is ideal but I bought mine on here. It's not collector piece (the cylinder does not match) and the front sight is an aftermarket piece, but I'm glad I have it. Like Dingus said the 1878 were quite a bit better than the 1877 models. The Canadian government purchased a 1001 1878s and they were used in combat.
 
Back
Top Bottom