Colt 78 Frontier..

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I have an 1878 Colt Frontier DA gun in .44-40 cal. The gun was built in 1885, and as in great shape still. I am thinking of conveting it to some other cal, and getting it antiqued.
Any ideas what can be done, as to cal., and not cost more than the thing is worth? I have other things to bang away with, so this is just for shlitz & giggles.
Thanks , Bill..
 
why not bush the chambers and change it to 44 russian The bushings would be paper thin unless you drilled out the chambers maybe 20 thou first. They would still be pretty thin but maybe do able. Your only other option would be to rechamber to 45 schofield but that would mean a new barrel and a lot of work

cheers mooncoon
 
The 44-40 is a difficult one to convert. I sent one to my gsmith to sleeve to 44 Russian but he couldn't do it because the cyl walls were too thin. On the SAA's its possible to get cyl in 44 spec and go that route.....not sure if 44 spec cylinders are available in m78. Maybe try Coltparts.com and see if they have a 38 cal or something that could be bored out to 44 Russian or Spec.
Think the cylinders run 300 to 350$
 
I'm using the phone thingy right now, but aren't 73 & 78 cylinders one in the same? Can't remember off the top of my balding head...
 
Back
Top Bottom