Colt Bisley

apu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I am a little giddy and have to share my buzz. Keeping in mind very few things get me excited these days:p

I believe I just bought an interesting Colt Bisley revolver. I have been looking for an antique Bisley for the last 3 years. Ever since I passed up a Bisley 455 flat top a few years back I have regretted not having that Colt in the stable ever since. Colt produced the Bisley single action from 1894 to 1915. Although they produced around 45,000 in total, relatively few seem to be available pre 1898. Very fewer still in Canadian antique legal calibres. The vast majority of these pre 98 guns were in 32-20, 44-40.

The gun in question was manufactured in the very first year of production -1894 and is 1 of only 29 produced, numbers matching in the standard frame and original/ extremely rare 44 S&W calibre. The seller describes it in mechanically excellent condition if only fair aesthetically. I don't have any decent pictures yet but was hoping I could conjure up other fans of this SA variant. I know Dingus has/had a nice rare flat top. Any pictures? Anyone else?
 
Last edited:
I don't have any decent pictures yet but was hoping I could conjure up other fans of this SA variant. I know Dingus has/had a nice rare flat top. Any pictures? Anyone else?

Apu, another fan here. I have a 5 1/2 Bisley in 44 Russian, which was a holy grail gun for me before I got it three years ago or so. Will have to get some pics up shortly. Its a 1910 manufacture, but still one of how few left? Love the look, love the history. Great catch on your part, looks a lot like mine for finish.
 
Apu, another fan here. I have a 5 1/2 Bisley in 44 Russian, which was a holy grail gun for me before I got it three years ago or so. Will have to get some pics up shortly. Its a 1910 manufacture, but still one of how few left? Love the look, love the history. Great catch on your part, looks a lot like mine for finish.

44 Russian another extremely rare chambering for the Bisely, i think gun-data dot com indicates only 90 were produced in the standard frame. If my gun is indeed chambered as marked on the barrel (44 S&W i.e. american) I believe the only major difference between 44 S&W Russian round and earlier american is that the american round used a heeled bullet. I think I have a heeled bullet mould that may work. I have successfully used it in my 1875 Remington SA chambered in the also very uncommon 44 Remington round. Its actually a little bigger at .447 inch(247 grain) vs .434 inch(218 grain) spec 44 S&W round, which assuming it chambers in the cylinder and with some softer lead should swage down the barrel nicely behind some black powder. This is a pic of a heeled 247-250 grain 44 Remington bullet atop 44 Russian brass on the right. That's one of my Schofield reloads on the left.

rem44.jpg




Again the picture I posted in my first post is just a random Bisley internet picture, but I suspect mine will have a very similarly worn finish with minor remnants of bluing.
 
Great score and what a Rare cartridge to find one in check and see if the bore is like .430 or alot bigger as some 44 S&W American S&Ws had bores that were alot bigger in dia as the first american bullets were heeled.
Im guessing its aprox .430 bore same as a 44 Russian one tho as bisleys were made alot later than the S&W American models.
Yours is very rare because thats and original chambering not a altered gun like most you see up here.

I am seting up my bisley the same as elmer keiths custom bisleys with the wider strait grip and a heavy shorter 5.5 barrel and taller target sites that are fully adjustable, Colt used the better steel in all there bisleys Frames so there stronger than the BP SAA colts from what i have read.
The only thing about bisleys i dont like is the bloody grip. the trigger gard turns forward to much at the bottom.
Elmer keith took a regular SAA trigger gard added metal to the very bottom then heated and bent a spare bisley back strap out to get a straiter wider grip that makes them a dream to hold shoot then a custom set of elk grips, im never selling mine so i want it to be more comfortable to shoot . This is for guys with bigger hands.
Of course im keeping the original trigger gard and back strap in case i want to put her back to original.
Look up Elmer keith Custom Bisley Colts and you will see what i meen. by useing other altered grip strap and trigger gard your not hurting your gun in anyway and you will love the way they feel to hold (ive seen and held one custom bisley done the same way)
anyway great gun good score.
 
My Bisley SA finally arrived today!! It is indeed in the rare 44 S&W calibre( one of only 29 guns). Clearly the seller under represented the condition of the gun. Lots of original finish/case colouring intact all the stampings including the rampant colt are clear, really nice original furniture. The bore looks virtually brand new and I can't imagine a tighter SA action. I am just floored what a crappy picture and description the seller put up for the auction. Good for me I guess :)

bisley-0.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom