COLT LIGHTING REVOLVER price

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnlyn

Member
Rating - 100%
235   0   0
Location
Nanaimo,BC
I just obtained this revolver in 38 cal. works single action, skips in double action, all original as far as I can tell. Screws have not been played with, cylinder pin is not like any I have found in books. Grips are original. I wish to sell it but cannot find prices which best describe this gun. They jump from $300 to several thousand. Any help would be appreciated. Gun made in 1878.
 
It's worth less than a similar condition .41 caliber of the same model. The .41 is a Prescribed Antique, at least if it is pre 1898, while the .38 cal ones are registered restricted firearms, courtesy of the caliber being on the list of 'bad' calibers.

The price ranges you see are pretty close to what I have seen at gun shows. Guys can ask the moon, but what it will actually sell for...

The innards on the Thunderer/Lightning pistols are fragile, lots of small pieces, and they don't respond too well to a heavy hand. PITA to assemble correctly too, as the parts must all mesh properly to work.

Price on that one? I have seen a few similar condition, asking from $450 to $650 range. I'd think that it'd have to be a bunch rougher than that one to merit a lower price. But that's just my opinion.
Take a look at Colparts.com and see what the ask is for used parts. It'll give you an idea what i may be worth as a wrecker/donor piece.

Cheers
Trev
 
On gunbroker I've seen parts 1877's going for around 300 bucks, complete but non-matching ones going for around 500-600 bucks. I've seen nice ones listed for around the 1500 mark, but I don't think they're exactly flying off the shelves for that price. The ones for several thousand, I think the sellers are on crack. But that's on gunbroker, which will be cheaper than here.

Yours looks nice however being restricted and not an antique will hurt it's value here. As a restricted, shooting the obsolete .38 ammo, you have a small market to cater to.

Not sure on this, but if you were to acquire a .41 thunderer cylinder and discard the .38 cylinder I think you could get it deregistered and classified as an antique? Of course to shoot the gun one would need to either rebarrel or load .38 bullets into .41 brass?
 
I've been collecting 1877's since the 70's and have amassed more than a few over those years, from Canada, the U.S., Australia, etc. This rage for .41's has gone nuts on prices and I've been tempted to sell a few off as I have over 60 of them. But I haven't yet!
Your's is a .38, not that much in demand as they were considered a bit fragile and most need work. Bottom line, based on what I can make off your photos, is that it's a saleable $400 to $550 gun in today's market. At least that's what I'd be willing to pay, and I've bought lots of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom